Help, Benchmade sharpener destroyed William Henry?

William Henry. Nichols Rain Drop Damascus. I used the older yellow Benchmade sharpener on it. It made it completely dull. I cannot even seem to bring back an edge with SIC or the Wicked Edge. What might I need to do?

I do not mind sending it to William Henry as a last resort. This is really stupid. I think they would be angry about it. Of course that is doubtful. More likely they charge me a lot.

I am not sure why this happened? Other than the Benchmade is technically a Pull Through. Still, it sharpens Benchmade which is certainly a good knife. I just want to focus on getting it sharp again.

A pull through sharpener? I would say you ruined the edge by using it. Personally i would chuck the pull through sharpener and practice on the wicked edge. But the good news is the wicked edge should bring it back.

Learn to sharpen and then try to sharpen your William Henry, or use someone reputable here to sharpen it for you.

First I apologize for posting in the wrong forum.

I think both of you completely misunderstood my post. We do not need an argument. It is okay. I hope this is not misunderstood as well.

William Henry. Nichols Rain Drop Damascus. I used the older yellow Benchmade sharpener on it. It made it completely dull. I cannot even seem to bring back an edge with SIC or the Wicked Edge. What might I need to do?

I do not mind sending it to William Henry as a last resort. This is really stupid. I think they would be angry about it. Of course that is doubtful. More likely they charge me a lot.

I am not sure why this happened? Other than the Benchmade is technically a Pull Through. Still, it sharpens Benchmade which is certainly a good knife. I just want to focus on getting it sharp again.

Just clamp it up in your Wicked Edge and go with it like you would reprofile any other blade. Use your sharpie on the edge and find out what the angles are. Then reprofile it to the angles that you want.

P.S. Never use a pull-through sharpener.:eek:

The BM sharpener probably has a more obtuse angle than what you are using on the WE so it will take some extra effort to reproduce the edge

Maybe you could post a photo of the edge. I'm having trouble with the notion that a Wicked Edge cannot bring back a sharp edge.

I'd set it up in the Wicked Edge at a 20 dps angle. Use your coarsest stone to start.

After a few strokes, check your edge. As 000Robert said, painting the edge with a Sharpie will help. I'm guessing that you see that the stone is hitting the edge shoulders, not the apex. If so, just keep sharpening at the 20 dps setting, changing sides often, until you raise a burr. You should notice your grind marks getting ever closer to the apex.

When you reach the apex and raise an edge burr the full length of both sides of the blade, use some light, very short, leading edge strokes to remove the burr. Then move on to higher-grit stones.

Rinse and repeat until you get the edge you want.

Finish with a light stropping.

Thank you Guy's very much. That was the issue. It had rolled the edge. So I was thinking I could use like a 1000 stone and 10 swipes. That is where I was completely incorrect. His Damascus is still fairly tough. I went all the way to a 50 stone. This stone is not from the makers of Wicked Edge but made for it. It is Diamond Monocrystal. Even that took I think about 20 per side. I started moving up. Once I got to the larger numbers I could start skipping to higher grits. Without using everything in between. Then I went freehand to 12000. Then strop. Finish with Flitz. Does not even stain. Let's say I caused myself a lot of work. We could also say that this knife is scary sharp. I am a bit concerned about the amount of metal removed. On the other hand, how does Benchmade sell this thing? I really appreciate you Guy's.

Back