Help! Benchmade Tengu

Just bought a new Benchmade Tengu flipper and the action is so stiff it's unusable.
You have to press the flipper so hard to deploy the blade, it almost tears a hole in your finger!
Is there an adjustment for this? If not, I just wasted $200 bucks. :(

have you tried loosening to pivot screw? that or maybe try a few drops of oil in the pivot
Thanks for the reply. When I loosen the pivot screw, the blade moves to the side and becomes uncentered. There isn't a lot of tolerance between the blade and the frame and if I loosen just a little it hits the frame.
I've read the flipper "detent?" is very stiff on these knives but this is unusable.

damn i don’t know then. i haven’t heard of anyone having that kinda problem before. one thing, does it run on washers or ball bearings? thinking if maybe something got in & fouled the bearings it might cause something like that. otherwise i’m stumped

I don’t think it’s a common problem. The detent on mine is about as good as it gets. You might try loosening all of the screws and putting a couple drops of oil in the pivot. Tighten all the screws starting at the back of the knife and finish with the pivot screw.

Break it in by opening and closing it while you watch TV or something. I just about wore out my thumb breaking in my Inkosi.

My spyderco millitary was hard to deploy too...until I hit it with some pivot lube.

Invest in a little bottle, i use tuffglide and the little bottle lasted me 3 years lol.

Good luck!

Back