Help, blade coating!

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
I'd like to do a black "epoxy powder coat" on a knife I've made. I've done a search in here, and looked through Brownell's website, but didn't know what stuff to get. I want something that protects well and doesn't require special equipment to apply. I saw some Aerosol Baking Laquer, but I'm not sure if it's any good. Sounds too easy to worth anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks, that's exactly what the gentleman from the "tech support" at Brownells said. Do you have any idea that it looks like once it's applied, and how durable it is?

Michael, no I've never seen it on a knife. I have seen it on some firearms though, and it is much like powder coat.
I have heard of some makers using it on knives, with good success.

I appreciate it. I think I'll give it a try. I was looking at the "who uses it" section of the website and it mentioned Chris Reeves Knives.

One other question -- does anyone happen to know if Brownell's aerosol "spray on" can of Gun-Kote works as well as the version you put through an air brush?

no, it doesnt work as well. same stuff inside, poor way of spraying it (nozzle gets clogged, sprays in splotches etc...)

the coating is best applied over parkerizing. (gives it more to adhere to) but you cant park stainless steels.

You all must excuse my ignorance once more. Where can I get Ferric Chloride, and do I need to clean the blade off after using the chemical, or just let it dry? I know I would need proper safety equipment, and shouldn't handle the blade before/after applying the Gun-Kote.

Ferric Chloride is also known as PCB Etchant, at Radio Shack. Mix it 50/50 with water, and dip your blade for a very few minutes. Use some 4/0 steel wool, under running hot water, to clean the oxides off. Scrub it good with detergent and hot water after. Should be OK to coat then.

I appreciate all your help. I spent last night cleaning up some lines and hopefully do a little tempering this weekend. If I ever get it done, I'll post a picture of it (unless it turns out like crap). Besides a couple of ugly ones I did when I was a kid, and a few reprofiling, re-handling and kit knives, this is the first blade I'll have made from start to finish.

I've used Gun-Kote on some knives. I think I have the grey. It's definatly a thinner coating then the epoxy coatis that I've seen. I have been applying it before the third temper, this means that it is being baked on a a slightly higher temperature and for longer then they recomend but they also say that this should only make it harder and discolor some. I can't comment on the hardness, but it does turn a rather dark grey green. Wash the blade down with acetone before applying the gun-kote. I have been using an airbrush for the application.

WS

I've used a fair amount of Gun Kote from Brownell's. Everyone else is correct an air gun is better. But the can will work well too. I suggest you buy a couple of the extra tips they offer. Test the spray pattern on a piece of cardbord untill you get a good pattern. Use compete strokes starting before and ending after the knife. Use mutiple passes and stop when you just get the blade fully covered. Gun Kote does NOT do better with more. It actually causes it to be less durable. If you goof up clean it off with acitone and do it again. Hope this helps.

Steve

Back