Help Choosing a Bag

Hey everyone! Happy Holidays. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on classic vs thin briefcases, as well as the med vs large debate. I've researched this extensively, and looked at all the videos/pictures I could find. A little personalized advice would be great!

A bit of background on me, I'm about 6 foot tall. I'm male. I weigh 160. I have a small waist, and large chest / shoulders. I'm looking to buy this bag with college in mind, so fitting daily essentials will be important; laptop, paper, a couple small binders (as well as having room for my mini umbrella, ipod, cellphone, wallet). I would hate to have to carry two bags or run back and forth to my dorm room to get different note books.

Thanks for all your advice!

A lot of it depends on how big your laptop is. If the screen is anything bigger than 13" then you really can't use the medium size briefcase (my old 13" Macbook will just barely fit into the standard medium briefcase.) A lot of times the SBL measurements on the site are the outside dimensions and don't reflect the inner compartment size. For several comparison pictures and such you should check out the SBL Facebook photostream and comments section.

If you have a smaller laptop, something 13" or closer to a netbook, then the medium standard briefcase would be good for that and a few 1" binders; just be careful of loading it up too heavily as it becomes ungainly. Right now I generally carry an 11" netbook and charger, a few notebooks or small textbooks, mini umbrella and water bottle on the outside pockets, pens, phone, etc. Here's a token picture

IMG_0008.jpg

Can't comment on the thin briefcase as I only have the standard medium briefcase but I really like the looks of it. I'd only get the thin briefcase if you were packing something like a netbook or a tablet, or just notebooks and papers.

Last edited:
Large Classic Briefcase for sure... make it in DCB (great color)... I have a Medium Classic (chestnut), and I don't carry a portable computer in it. If I did need to carry a Macbook or notebook PC, I think the Medium may be too limiting considering the other things you might also want to load it up with. At your age, if I had the option to chose one of these (and knowing what I know about them)... it would surely be at least a large Classic. You're certainly strong enough to handle it... the medium may be too small, the extra large might be overkill. This BC would last you far beyond your college years, and easily be up to taking the abuse. Be sure to condition the leather at least twice a year, and it'll really last you forever. The thin would leave you wanting more. Don't even consider it. Color? (seriously) up to you, but for me it's either CN or DCB. Here's my new small EDC. Small Ltd. Ed Classic BC in DCB (for when the Medium's too much), this is just right :) ...

sblsbc.jpg

Thanks for your help! I think I've decided on Large Classic. The customer service is great over there; I wanted to see the leathers before I purchased so they sent me 2 key fobs in Black and Chestnut. I'm usually always in a sports jacket, and the worn, scratched up bag look isn't what I'm going for. I looked around and the Carbon Black seems to be a finished leather, unlike the others.

If it helps... http://leatherhelp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154&Itemid=78 MY Med BC in chestnut, doesn't quite have the wear that Sonnemann's has, but it's getting there. The worn-in look isn't for everyone but it goes well with this style of bag. I wouldn't trade-in my CN, but I have come to prefer the DCB. If these bags are conditioned regularly (but not overly done), the wear on them looks great. The character and patina that will develop... just won't happen with the Carbon Black... but to each their own. :)

showing minor scratches & scuffs, but they're more prominent in person..
sblmbc.jpg

Edit: updated to show this same briefcase recently reconditioned...
sblmbccon.jpg

2clsbl.jpg

Last edited:
Back