Help Choosing HO Cut

Howdy Y’all,

This is my first post in this corner of BF, although I’ve been lurking around for awhile, and have already learned a lot. I’m looking to get into sheath making, and have already acquired some of the necessary tools, and built myself a stitching pony.

I don’t have a lot of money to invest in leather right now, but I do want to get decent quality material. From what I’ve read on here so far, I believe I understand correctly that Hermann Oak B Grade is usually pretty good stuff. I’m not looking to win any major awards, but I do want to make a nice looking sheath, so I hope I’m on the right track there.

I can’t even remotely afford a whole side right now, so I’m looking to get some of the pre-cut stuff from Springfield to get me started.

Here’s my question - I know I want 7/8 oz., but I’m a little fuzzy about cuts. There’s culatta, back, shoulder, and one that’s just called veg tan. (I’d prefer not to go shoulder, if possible, just because there’s a 5 sq. ft. minimum on it, and I’m really just looking for a small piece to get started with. I know 5 sq. ft. isn’t a lot, as leather goes, but my budget is very small at the moment.)

I would appreciate advice about which of these options would serve my purpose. Thanks for your help!

TH

7/8oz is good. As you see the culatta will have percentage of belly, which for your purposes is no bueno (not good). Unless they are going to cut a portion out of one of the divisions, any one of these division will probably exceed 5 square feet. If they will trim a larger piece for you, the bend would probably be your best bet, because there should be no belly

Hide divisions.jpg

Good luck!

Paul

Ok, upon closer inspection, the culatta and back cuts have even larger minimum size orders. The only one with no minimum sq. ft. requirement is the one simply labeled “Hermann Oak B Grade 7/8 oz. Veg Tan.” Do I assume that this could potentially contain belly, and would therefore be undesirable for sheath making?

Thanks so much for helping out a noob!

The veg. tan no minimum deal is probably a full side they dedicated to smaller cuts, so you wind up with "luck of the draw" smaller pieces which may or may not contain some really crappy leather (belly or other flanky pieces). There really is no good way to guarantee decent leather in smaller cuts, plus you really pay a premium per square foot. My advice (if you plan to continue at all with your leather work) would be to buy a bend to get the best chance of decent leather throughout......or if you have a Tandy/Leather factory near you , go and actually pick out some domestic leather. It's not HO or Wickett&Craig, but it should get you started down the leather craft road.

Paul

Ok, that’s what I figured. I’ll save up my nickels and dimes and get something worth having. Thanks!

I have been getting my water buffalo I use for belts from Springfield these days. Their normal size on these pieces (single bends) are a little short. I tell them over the phone what I'm looking for and they have made it happen. So I wouldn't hesitate to order by phone with them and ask em to cherry pick your piece. Tell em specifically what it is you are looking for. If ya don't get it, return it and go Paul's route with Tandy. My bet would be that Springfield will come through for you on your requests. They have for me and we've only ordered from em a few times. Not like I've got a 30 year history with them or anything.

I end up at Tandy quite a bit. I spend a lot of time flipping hides in the store looking for the best of the bunch. My military discount helps a lot as well. Usually end up with decent pieces,

Back