Help Flattening Arkansas Stones

I have a double sided arkansas stone(soft/hard) that I use for recurve blades but the edges of the stone need to be smoothed out. What sandpaper grit(s) should I use to smooth the edges of the stone?

Start with coarse, 80- 100 grit SiC. Then a grit in between, working up to 300 grit. I wouldn't go any finer. DM

Its because your stone can easily glaze over. Then you have to go back to a previous grit and get that off. Thus, be careful and watch as you go finer. DM

Depending on how bad your ark is dished you may be better off using SiC grit.
Most stones chew up sandpaper very fast and in comparison SiC grit is pretty cheap.

I usually start with 30 grit and and finish off with 120 grit on most of my oil stones.

I use a worn diamond plate to dress the corners of arks and sometimes on the surface too. If you have much flattening to do the sic powder is the way to go. Arks kill paper and diamond plates too.

I have been using only 80 grit SIC for years on Arkansas and India stones. It leaves a nice surface and works very fast. I love the way an Arkansas stone cuts after lapping it flat with SIC.

I have a double sided arkansas stone(soft/hard) that I use for recurve blades but the edges of the stone need to be smoothed out. What sandpaper grit(s) should I use to smooth the edges of the stone?

Glass and silicon carbide.

For years I have used 80 grit SIC and water on a very flat paving tile. Only takes minutes. A newly flattened Ark stone cuts like a dream.

Back