Help forging saya chisels

Hey guys so instead of spending the large amount of cash for some chisels to use in making some wooden sheaths I decided to make my own. Forging them out of W1 round bar, next time I do this I am ordering some smaller bar, 5/8" is a little big to make some small chisels.

Anyways I would like anyones input who have them or have made them.

I have looked at countless pics but without having them in hand its hard to get it right. I think the curve to the back that transitions into the handle starts behind the flat on the bottom of the chisel. I would assume that the chisel portion and say about a inch or so is flat then it curves up some then is straight for the handle. Does this sound about right.

Also on the grinds for these, the bottom I have scene it rounded out some to make sharpening easier - good idea? Also there is just one primary bevel correct, no secondary (or primary for the traditional guys) smaller bevel at the tip correct.

Anyways any help much appreciated, Ill post pics of the ones I am guessing on after I get them out of the forge.

the ones I have from Japan are pretty much A thin wood chisel 3/8ths wide and 1/2 inch wide. no more than an eight inch thick.

Thin, flat faced, sharp...that is the main thing. Putting a lift to the tang so it can be pushed parallel to the saya is nice for the clean-out chisel. They really should not need forging, as a bar of 1/8" W2 can be shaped and ground to the desired shapes and HTed easily.

Thanks guys. Stacy Ive only got 5/8" or larger W1 rounds so gotta get them down a bit in size. I am gonna order a few smaller sizes for tool fabrication here in the near future though.

Back