Help ID this kyu-gunto sword

My deceased father in law brought this back from WW2. All I've been able to determine is it appears to be a kyu-gunto parade sword?

The emblem on the handle appears off to me, based on other pictures I have seen. I don't have the sword yet and this is the only picture I currently have. It was found just today and I am awaiting receipt. Once I have it in hand I can take more detailed pictures if it will help.

Help appreciated in ID and potentially dating this one.
p3621301741-5.jpg

Not a Kyu-Gunto.

This is a Colonial Sword, specifically a Taiwan colonial sword. They were issued to Japanese civilian officials the occupation government in Taiwan beginning in 1899. There were three grades of these swords, listed in order of quality Hannin, Sonin, and Chokunin. Yours is a Hannin or lower grade sword. The difference being ornamentation, they all came with standard non-traditionally made chrome plated blades.

They have little value and are not viewed as collectable by Japanese sword collectors as they are non-traditionally made. Generally, they have little interest to military or WWII collectors as these were civilian swords and issued prior to WWII.

Their niche may fall within Japanese historical or cultural collectors.

They are not entirely without worth. Condition is everything. These swords were from a period around WWI. The emblem on the ears will determine which colony it represents.

I have a pretty beat up Tsing Tao example. The blade is not chromium plated.

Cheers
GC

pix509213431.jpg

No, not entirely without worth, they have their niche. They just have nowhere near the collectability or value of traditionally made antique Nihonto.

Yes, the double triangles seen on the OP's sword is the Taiwan stamp. Again, their issuance began in Meji 32 or 1899.

Occasionally, these koshirae were made to fit an older blade, but the standard issue was a thin, chrome plated blade as seen in most examples.

Yours looks to be a Sonin grade TsingTao version.

I don't think mine was an older blade as it is really small in dimensional width and doesn't appear to have been differentially hardened. Barely 17mm wide at the machi. Typical eel skin scabbard.

The topsy turvy time when Germany was the enemy and England an ally.

Cheers
GC

pix820720615.jpg
pix555339820.jpg
pix138917805.jpg
pix568382315.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their input and help. I picked it up yesterday and took some better images. Wonder if these help you better determine anything? Also, I'd like to clean it up a bit and would appreciate advice on what to do and what not to do.

p3636856276-5.jpg

p3636856274-5.jpg
p3636856273-5.jpg
p3636856272-5.jpg
p3636856277-5.jpg
p3636856393-5.jpg
p3636856447-5.jpg
p3636856460-5.jpg
p3636856527-5.jpg
p3636856611-5.jpg
p3636856619-5.jpg

No sir, don't see anything which would change the information I have given you previously. The black ray skin grip and lack of ornamentation indicate a Honin or lowest grade of these swords. I will say that it seems to be in very good condition, which is always a plus.

Cleaning is just keeping it wiped down and out of the elements.
The blade could be removed and wiped clean with a cloth denatured alcohol, then wiped with a cloth with a light coat of oil.

To remove the blade there should be a pin in the grip which is pushed out gently, the the blade can be coaxed gently out.
The pin is tapered and goes in/out. from the left side (when holding the blade as you would in use). That would mean the pin would be under your fingertips. see photo.

Ring_Kosh_HandleFV4.JPG

Back