Help identify Chef Knife

I picked this up at a thrift store. It may be junk - I have not tried to sharpen it yet. However it is quite solid, good sturdy blade, handle seems different. If it really is made in Soligen, it should be a keeper ? Or is it some sort of knock off ? No marks whatsoever, other than what you see.

Any thoughts ??

solingen1 by Astrowood, on Flickr

solingen2 by Astrowood, on Flickr

Im not a expert on German steel or Solingen knives. But I would say sharpen the steel and use it, use the heck out of it as thats the true test of any blade in my opinion.. Especially a kitchen knife. See how well it holds its edge and how it preforms or works for you in the kitchen. Then you will know weather or not you want to add it to you kitchen tools or sell it off at the next garage sale. lol :)

Let us know what you determine.

With that bolster it should get quite the uneven edge as you sharpen it. If it was mine i would grind away the bolster to allow easier heel to tip sharpening. Hopefully the handle is solid and not hollow for such a mod to be practical. In some handles lie that I believe the handle is cement or sand filled.

Good Luck.

Well, that seems as good advice as any. I will sharpen it this week and see where that takes me.

Thanks for responding !

Make a very low relief bevel with coarse sandpaper and so you will abrade some of that finger guard as well.

Back