Photos Help identifying to vintage daggers

Hello, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if someone could help me identify these two daggers. I’ve had them a very very long time and would like to know more about them. Any help at all would be appreciated. Also, I hate to sound ridiculous, but I can’t figure out how to post a photo of them. Thank you!

Welcome to Bladeforums Barbt.

I'm sure I speak for others (and myself) when I say we would like to see your knives.

In order to post pictures on Bladeforums you either need to use a photo hosting site like Imgur.com (it's free and easy), where you upload pictures from your computer into your Imgur album, then post them here. Or, to post pictures on Bladeforums directly from your computer you need to be a paying member (Gold membership or higher). Posting pics directly from ones computer is just one benefit of a paid membership, and it helps to pay to keep this forum going.

If you want to learn more about becoming a paid member click on "Paid Subscriptions" in the blue banner across the top of the screen.

If you want to use Imgur and you don't know how, here is a tutorial I created for using Imgur. I created it for technologically challenged people, like myself. Despite all the steps, Imgur is really easy to use. Here is the tutorial- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/we-were-all-new-here-once.1010696/page-96#post-22160861

Welcome to Bladeforums Barbt.

I'm sure I speak for others (and myself) when I say we would like to see your knives.

In order to post pictures on Bladeforums you either need to use a photo hosting site like Imgur.com (it's free and easy), where you upload pictures from your computer into your Imgur album, then post them here. Or, to post pictures on Bladeforums directly from your computer you need to be a paying member (Gold membership or higher). Posting pics directly from ones computer is just one benefit of a paid membership, and it helps to pay to keep this forum going.

If you want to learn more about becoming a paid member click on "Paid Subscriptions" in the blue banner across the top of the screen.

If you want to use Imgur and you don't know how, here is a tutorial I created for using Imgur. I created it for technologically challenged people, like myself. Despite all the steps, Imgur is really easy to use. Here is the tutorial- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/we-were-all-new-here-once.1010696/page-96#post-22160861
Thank you so much! I am going to give that a try to see if I can get the images to post!

KDyR6Xb.jpg

Hello Barbt, those characters that appear on the knife are Arabic. True that only narrows it down only so much :) I couldn't spot any obvious sets of numbers on the blade. Maybe on the handle or low on the tang backside or guard? Just a hunch, it looks military. Possibly a commemorative knife. If you can find a forum where people translate Arabic to English, more about the knife would quite likely be learned. It sure is cool! HTH

Barbt,

You might be able to get this translated at the Vikingsword.com. They are a collector site dedicated to ethnographic knives and they have helped me with this in the past. I suspect you will find this to be a mid 20th century tourist item. But there seems to be a lot of interesting information on this.

Please let us know what they share with you.

n2s

Thank you, everyone! I will try for the translation, any information on this knife I will get back to share with you! You have all been so helpful!

This is just conjecture. That handle looks Philipino to me. There are some muslims there called Moro. So maybe it is a Moro knife with Arabic religious inscription? The engraving reaching all the way to the tip leads me to believe it might be from a broken sword.

My friend says that some of the characters are names of great Caliphs and The Prophet. On the left: Muhammad, Ali, Usman. On the right it seems to say Omar and Alnoor which is another name of Allah.

From right to left "Allah" "Abu Bakr" "Omar" in the long part between "Bismillahirrahmanirrahim, La ilahe illallah Muhammadün Resuullullah" and the next three words are "Oshman" "Ali" "Mohammad". Allah is the god of Islam, Mohammad is the prophet of Islam and the other names are the four important caliphs of Islam. "Bismillahirrahmanirrahim" means in the name of Allah, the merciful and forgiving. "la ilahe illallah Muhammadun Rasuulullah" means there is no god but Allah and Mohammad is his servant and messenger. I think this is some kind of ornament that Arabs sell to tourists.

From right to left "Allah" "Abu Bakr" "Omar" in the long part between "Bismillahirrahmanirrahim, La ilahe illallah Muhammadün Resuullullah" and the next three words are "Oshman" "Ali" "Mohammad". Allah is the god of Islam, Mohammad is the prophet of Islam and the other names are the four important caliphs of Islam. "Bismillahirrahmanirrahim" means in the name of Allah, the merciful and forgiving. "la ilahe illallah Muhammadun Rasuulullah" means there is no god but Allah and Mohammad is his servant and messenger. I think this is some kind of ornament that Arabs sell to tourists
Thanks so much for that translation!

Back