Help IDing this replica Japanese sword

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and look forward to learning from the best. I have this Japanese sword that I believe to be a modern replica. Can anyone please help to ID what it is, and maybe the writing on the blade? The blade length is 385mm.
Thanks!
Lefty

xfcS8kKl.jpg

8HMj8n6l.jpg

AKroWcIl.jpg

mCr9lIgl.jpg

Zbo3uynl.jpg

Well, I am certainly not the best, but even a rank amateur like myself can see a litany of issues with this item. The Ito appears to be shoe laces and is indifferently wrapped. The tsuka is malformed and overly large. The fittings are pot metal and badly cast. The blade geometry is entirely wrong and the sharpening is ghastly. If it is not a new piece (I believe that it is) then it is a testament that junk was produced in ye olden times as well. I suspect this is a product of the near east rather than the orient. Hopefully it was a gift. We all start somewhere... :)

Well, I am certainly not the best, but even a rank amateur like myself can see a litany of issues with this item. The Ito appears to be shoe laces and is indifferently wrapped. The tsuka is malformed and overly large. The fittings are pot metal and badly cast. The blade geometry is entirely wrong and the sharpening is ghastly. If it is not a new piece (I believe that it is) then it is a testament that junk was produced in ye olden times as well. I suspect this is a product of the near east rather than the orient. Hopefully it was a gift. We all start somewhere... :)

Thanks, Triton. I agree with your assessment 100%, but it would still be good to know when and where these were made. The previous owner has had this since the 1970s.

It would be blasphemy to even call that a Japanese sword. Bound to be some sort of Chinese repro, but who knows from when or where. My only thought on it is that I hope I never see it again.

Again I am no expert, but if I were to hazard a guess I would think that the piece probably was produced in the early 70s, there has been a fascination with Japanese swords for a very long time and a sword shaped object for every budget.

Looks exactly like one I ground out of a chunk of rusty bin steel with an angle grinder one night after the rum was gone. :p

Back