How To Help! Knife Scale Sizes and Sizing blades

Hi - I am a newbie! I have made several wooden handled knives in my wood shop previously. I am not a blade maker - turn fancy wooden, acrylic and antler pens plus bowls and other wooden things. Just before Christmas I won an auction of 19 antler scales that are inlaid or carved with arrowheads, bear tracks, Christmas tree/arrow, wood spirit, and several other beautiful inlays and stacked scales. These are so beautiful I have numerous questions on the best way to utilize them. Each is a full antler and is polished and finished. I am nervous about trying to slice on the band saw for a full tang. So I am trying to "size" the knife blades to purchase to go with these handles, obtain the best tang fitting since scales are round and finished already. I pan to give these to family members for gifts. Any Suggestions -recommendations are greatly appreciated. I don't want to "mess up" these beautiful pieces. I guess I got the Cart before the Horse.:rolleyes:
JhJ17iW.jpg

Look at Puukko style hidden tang blanks. They often have brass and nickel silver ferrules already pre slotted for those blades, too. Stacked leather and antler is usually a winner on many hidden tang knives! Knifemaking suppliers often sell blanks, too of varying quality.

Back