Help me Choose a Bark River (Steel type)

3V or Elmax

• 3V

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Elmax

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Hey, so this is my first post here, I have been poking around for a while, just never posted.

My problem is this.

I want a knife for bushcraft, so for making feather sticks, light batoning and what not, also general camp duties, and hunting, only light hunting work, skinning rabbits, small deer and what not. I will also be using this knife sea fishing (only once a year) and river fishing, I have a knife for cutting bone, so it won't be used for that..

My dilemma is this. I really like the Bravo 1 LT in Cocobolo - (Like this knife the most) https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-bravo-1-lt-cpm-3v-cocobolo-3a/

It has CPM-3V steel, but I also like - https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-bravo-1-lt-elmax-dark-curly-maple-1/

The second is in Elmax steel.

I do take care of my knives, dry and oil them.... but how resistant is 3V to blood, sea water and water in general?

I also read here, that Elmax will chip easily if I accidentally hit bone when skinning, is this correct? Also, how easy are each to sharpen?

So, my question is this, given my situation, which steel is better? 3V, or Elmax? Remember, I do take care of my knives, and won't be leaving them wet or lying around in damp conditions.

Thanks

Both of those have fantastic steel- of course.

I have a Bark River in the CPM3V...but its a little different model....heavier blade stock. Its a beast....and unless you are chopping high tensile strength rebar....I doubt you can chip it on wood. Those Bark Rivers have a convex blade I don't particularly like but its an excellent well supported edge for camp chores, chopping and such. The full tang on these makes them heavy and less nimble that some others. My BR has a full 1/4" tang, I bought it used for a song...but I probably wouldn't have if I knew that beforehand- 9 oz knife.

IMO, I would never skin a small deer or rabbit with that knife....too big and beefy....but I suppose you could make it work.

I also read here, that Elmax will chip easily if I accidentally hit bone when skinning, is this correct? Also, how easy are each to sharpen?

Ignoring the whole BRK Elmax fiasco and speaking directly of Elmax on these two points here (I've only experienced 3V in a small knife so can't really compare them)...

I have an extremely heavy use Elmax knife, borderline abuse almost daily and I've only managed to chip it twice and both times (plus all the other sharpening / touch ups) I've found it easy to sharpen, right there with S35VN in that regard.

As for the two times I chipped it, both were in man made materials; concrete and a nail in a pallet, both times chopping for no real reason other than I could (one time didn't even need to happen and the other time I had better tools for the job on me).
Story time:

First chip I'm chopping this pallet in half and got threw it and saw the chip, never noticed the nail during chopping, only found it on inspection looking for what caused the very minor chip. Absolutely no reason I needed to chop the pallet, just cause I could.

The other time we were chopping a tree down (a pretty large arb with codominate main stems, both ~5" Ø) using JUST the knife. Well the concrete patio had already been broken up and removed but apparently the jack hammer threw a baseball size chunk of broken concrete up into the tree that got caught in the crotch of the branch right at the trunk. I hit it when I was first starting to clear some branches back before I even got to start on the main stems.
Got the tree down no problem though.

Again both small chips were easily sharpened out without any more work than resetting the angle on the knife anyway.

Hey, so this is my first post here, I have been poking around for a while, just never posted.

My problem is this.

I want a knife for bushcraft, so for making feather sticks, light batoning and what not, also general camp duties, and hunting, only light hunting work, skinning rabbits, small deer and what not. I will also be using this knife sea fishing (only once a year) and river fishing, I have a knife for cutting bone, so it won't be used for that..

My dilemma is this. I really like the Bravo 1 LT in Cocobolo - (Like this knife the most) https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-bravo-1-lt-cpm-3v-cocobolo-3a/

It has CPM-3V steel, but I also like - https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-bravo-1-lt-elmax-dark-curly-maple-1/

The second is in Elmax steel.

I do take care of my knives, dry and oil them.... but how resistant is 3V to blood, sea water and water in general?

So, my question is this, given my situation, which steel is better? 3V, or Elmax? Remember, I do take care of my knives, and won't be leaving them wet or lying around in damp conditions.

Thanks
I have knives in both. For your uses I suggest elmax. I would also suggest a gunny, better for small work, mine came scary sharp, just strop to keep a good edge and no rust around saltwater with minimal care. Then get yourself the bravo LT in the wood(s) of your choice! Ksf and dlt can get the blade modified for you by brk at no charge if you want the field style but they only only have the regular in stock. Both are great knives. Users in Micarta, then some in ironwood, black & white ebony, cocobolo... just watch out they put out some nice stuff.

Bill

Thanks for the help guys :)

As for a smaller knife, I have my eye on the Lionsteel M1, I am hoping to buy it soon, when funds allow. I will use it for smaller work, the LT is just a general all round knife I can take anywhere.

I would go with Elmax for your use. I’ve had Bark River knives in A2, 3V and now a Bravo 1 in Elmax. The Elmax knife gets used hard and I don’t have to worry about corrosion setting in right away if used in a wet environment in the field. It’s been my go to outdoor camp and hiking knife for the last two years. No problems with brittleness and I beat the crap out of that knife.

For constant use in a saltwater fishing environment like my boat I stick to H-1. Elmax will work just fine for saltwater fishing once a year. 3V is great steel but not ideal around the ocean. In my humid outdoor experience, I found that it starts to rust unless you stay on top of it after use, especially around saltwater. When I’m outdoors I want to use my knife and go without dealing with wiping and oiling.

Back