Help me choose a folder please

For my first post on this forum, I'm hoping to get the opinions of those with more experience than myself. Here's what I'm looking for:
-Folder, medium small (somewhere around 4 inches closed)
-Less than $100
-Used as general/daily use
-Good quality/construction/tolerances (a minimum of slop)
-Can hold an edge well and be sharpened well enough you'd almost be able to shave with it
-Prefer a grip that consists mostly of something other than plastic, (this one's not set in stone, especially if they're comfortable and durable)
-Prefer a pocket clip that can be removed and replaced pretty easily

Here are a few examples of what I've been considering, to give some idea of what I'm interested in (no special order):
Kershaw Avalanche
Camillus Cuda
CRKT M16, Wasp
Gerber AR3.0 (really like the airframe, but out of my price range)

Anyway, I'd like your opinions of what I should get. The bottom line is I'm a poor college student, and I need the best bang for my buck. Please don't limit your responses to comments on those that I have listed; any others you may recommend are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Josh

...You may want to do a search on similar topic items here, and you may want to look up some of the advertisers here....there are plenty of knives that meet your criteria.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the older style (plastic clip) Spyderco Endura's and Delica's in the 50/50 blade style, and G2 (GIN 1) steel.

I've been using them for daily users for 8 years, and have yet to kill one. Not too flashy by today's standards, but hard to beat over time...

Seriously, I deliberately abuse the heck out of my Spydie, and it still does the job well! a little DMT diamond hone after using it as a pry bar, or for cutting metal, and it's 'good as new'

Also, almost no detachable/breakable parts...

BOL

The Spyderco Native would be a good choice, as well as a REKAT Carnivour Cub. These are both very well-made folders.:).

Again, the Camillus EDC. It's the best deal going, and it's got it all over those others in style, IMO.

J_gets -- go right over to the "for sale by individual" production knife forum and buy one of the BM 705's the Professor has for sale in his Benchmades post.

You won't be sorry. The 705 is a stout little folder under four inches closed (3.75) and a 2.9inch blade. It has the Axis lock and the Professor has a few for a great deal. I am sure if you told him it was your first BM, he may even come down a few more bucks.

No one has ever been upset after buying a 705.

JT

I am also a poor college student.;)

I suggest you look very closely into a Camillus EDC in either 154Cm or D2. I got one a few weeks ago and this is really a fantastic knife for the money. There is absolutely no blade play. None. It also meets the rest of your requirements perfectly, and looks good doing it.

I'd keep away from linerlocks. Liner locks in those knives that you suggested are generally good but there is bigger variation between same models liner locks than lock backs or axis locks.

Of small axislocks 705 would be fine. Rekats (rolling lock) pioneers are good but not as well finished as 705 (I'd take pioneer II over 705 because I have enough BM's).
Any Spyderco lock back is fine. Spyderco standard g-10 compares to pioneer and 705 as it is wery tough lock back knife (it is discontinued but can be found in net). Calypso jr would be best cutter you can find under 100$.
Spyderco Vesuvius with new compression lock is one knife that you could also consider.

If you feel like being a little different, check out the Spyderco Pro Grip, now available in plain edge. This knife has VG-10 steel, stainless/Kraton handles and a 2 and 13/16" blade. I think this is one of the most functional, all-purpose knives that Spyderco makes.

Save yourself some time and money and go for the small Sebenza. I know it's a little out of your price range, but all things considered it is the best bargain around, especially if you want a long lasting folder. Put it on the credit card and pay it off over a couple months. You won't regret it.

Staying with your original criteria, I will second the suggestions above for either the discontinued Spyderco Standard (easy to find still) or the new release of the Spyderco Pro-Grip. I like thumbholes over thumbstuds and that is why I will always choose a Spyderknife over just about any other.

That said, I have been doing some handling tests of the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza's and Umfaan's at the local knife shop. The best thumbstud folder design I have ever handled, by far. I doubt you will really want to afford this though, and I can't agree with the Sebenzanista's. You shouldn't be spending that kind of money on a folding knife until you have your other priorities/necessities covered. I am not saying it is not worth it, it is just not necessary with all the good quality product on the market.

I would recommend the Spyderco Native. It is medium sized, has a spear point blade suitable for (almost) everything, and is easily sharpened. It is one of my daily carries (I rotate a couple of folders).

In your price range the Spyderco Native and Camillus EDC are good choices. The clips can easily be removed and replaced, especially the Native.

Paul

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Benchmade
940 or 942 yet. While a little longer than four
inches when closed, and a little more expensive,
it otherwise covers all the bases noted, has a
great blade profile for daily use, and includes a
fabulous locking mechanism common to the 705.

It also looks the part of a quality utility daily
carry, especially in green 940 trim.

T.

wow, an easy one lol, go to www.newgraham.com and get an BM 800S AFCK for $67.50, plus S &H, and dont look back - the best deal around on a quality folder imho (i wish mikeg gave me $1 for every time ive posted this lol)

sifu

Back