Recommendation? Help me choose a replacement.

ktataragasi

Gold Member
fYcmHBo

Hello everyone,

So the two knives above are what I carry with me every day. The traditional is the GEC 93 and the other is a Kizer Guru that I altered slightly.

So I am looking for a more slicy version. Of my Guru. I learned I really like how it shows some wear, I actually like the finger choil (which was a surprise) and it is fun to fidget with. It just does not slice all that well even with a very nice thin bevel. I don't have a overly hard demand on my knife performance and I have other tools so I don't need a knife I can beat on for no reason.

Now the issue are I would like to keep it close to or below $100 if possible and I would like for the handle material to show use after some time. I have had my Guru for a couple of years and I think it shows. Blade steel is not that important because I am pretty proficient with sharpening but I'm open to suggestions. Also a knife with available custom options would be cool to so I could just upgrade parts over time instead of just getting more knives.

Knives I'm considering are:
  • Spyderco Chaparral frn (thin, good steel under 100)
  • Spyderco manix 2 (many upgrades available but over 100)
  • ?
What would you all recommend? Bonus points for fidget factor.

Sorry for the long post.
http://imgur.com/a/fYcmHBo

The Chaparral is my most carried EDC. I have two, the full titanium and the carbon fiber.

I like the carbon fiber more, but the Titanium is a touch smother.

Considering my knives are mostly in my pocket I like smaller thin light knives.

I did have a Manix but I sold it, I shouldn't have. Both are great but I prefer the chaparral for now.

Maybe a Manix will be my next one.

Massdrop x Ferrum Forge Gent

Thanks. If I went this route I may get the CIVIVI elementum instead.

Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight.

spc223pbk.jpg
How does it carry? There is just something about the shape that seems off to me in appearance.

Spydiechef.

Chef_best2.JPG

Or, Stretch 2 with a finger choil.

Oranges.jpg
Thanks I'll look into those.

The Chaparral is my most carried EDC. I have two, the full titanium and the carbon fiber.

I like the carbon fiber more, but the Titanium is a touch smother.

Considering my knives are mostly in my pocket I like smaller thin light knives.

I did have a Manix but I sold it, I shouldn't have. Both are great but I prefer the chaparral for now.

Maybe a Manix will be my next one.
How does the chaparral hold up to mosk tasks? Does it ever feel like not enough knife?
How did the manix carry? Was it as large as most make it out to be?

Thank you all for chiming in!

How does the chaparral hold up to mosk tasks? Does it ever feel like not enough knife?

The chaparral holds up fine for daily edc tasks. It's certainly not my choice to baton wood, but it is definitely a better slicer than any of the others mentioned so far. Thin blade stock with thin edge bevel = slicer. Choose any variant - all Ti, CF, Raffir, FRN Lightweight. Note that the FRN lightweight also has a thinner handle than the others. I have the FRN and Raffir versions, and I always have one on me. The ergonomics are good, too. The blade is under 3" so a little shorter than the Guru, but not by much. The Manix is a much larger knife and occupies a lot more real estate in the pocket.

IMG_521219.jpg

Does just fine with smaller task, cts-xhp takes a good edge. I reset the bevels at about 17 dps and micro bevel 20 dps. I just strop, and use the spyderco ultra fine rods to touch up.

The Manix was a Cruwear. It was a little bigger for my taste, but I like big knives just edc smaller ones the most.

Thanks. If I went this route I may get the CIVIVI elementum instead.

How does it carry? There is just something about the shape that seems off to me in appearance.

Thanks I'll look into those.

Thank you all for chiming in!

The Chap is a great knife. I'd go Chap in XHP over the Manix if given a choice.

You could always go with a stainless steel handled Delica 4 too. Stainless steel handles pick up a lot of scratches over time. The downside is that they can be kinda slick.

Yep. I'm gonna be "that guy".

I suggest you choose a knife which meets your expectations in every way, except for the blade bevels. Once you have that, find somebody with a good reputation who can re-grind the blade.

The Guru is already sporting some relatively thin stock, and the high grind should make it a decent slicer.

My guess (free opinions!) is that the shape and angle of the bevels are what's causing your conflict between expectation and reality.

A full flat grind (such as Spyderco) may help this, but a convex bevel blade or a "saber" grind would be even better.

The problem is, convex-ground folders are rare and expensive. So, my suggestion is to use two steps to get to the solution.

Back