Help me choose between a Brunton Helios and Windmill Delta

What would your pick be? Pros and cons for each? I am totally confused. Plz help me out!

As for now, I own a Zippo and I am quite happy with it.

However, this spring I´ll be hiking with my friend in Northern Scandinavia and I feel an urge for a tougher and sturdier lighter cause the weather conditions will be harsh.

Even during springs, the temperature seldom reaches above 45¤F and the conditions are often very wet.

Regards!

I have the Windmill Delta and I find that the lid does not open wide enough for my tastes. The Brunton Helios does open much wider.

------------------
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.", King Lear, Act I, Scene 4.

I've had both. My Helios still works, the Windmill died. The Helios is lighter and less expensive. I really liked the Windmill while it worked, bit I think the Brunton is better value.

Hi DePaul,

Go to http://www.equipped.org/home.htm the Equipped to Survive website of Doug Ritter.

in the Shot Show 2001 update article it reads about Essential Gear have upgraded their Windmill lighter(s).
The exact text says:

"Essential Gear also showed off upgraded Windmill and Delta Series piezoelectric ignition, windproof and water resistant lighters ($25 and $30, respectively, for polycarbonate bodied models). Improvements include a wider range of flame adjustment for use at higher altitudes up to 12,000 ft. and 15 degrees added opening range for the cap, along with a reinforced pivot point for the cap release on the Windmill. We've used and liked the performance of these lighters in the past, the improvements, especially the improved cap opening range which addresses a problem we've noted previously, are welcome."
(from Equipped to survive website of Doug Ritter)

So perhaps the Widmill is improved enough to give it a try.
The only problem with us for us European guys is that it's very expensive if you take the exchange rate into account.
I would like to know the "cheapest" place where I can get them because the Blaze orange ones with the neopreen cover would be perfect to add to the "survival" bags that each of our Scout/explorer packs carry.
For the time being a $1 bic lighter does the job also.

Best scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

------------------

I'm sorry it wouldn't give me a link for the correct page, but you can search on "lighter" and it will give you the list to click on:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Sportsman's Guide® Windproof Lighter, Orange

So reliable... the U.S. Armed Forces chose this same Lighter. So, I thought... hey, if it's that good, I want my own! It has a tough water-resistant casing with an O-ring seal between the cap and body. Also comes with a key ring, lanyard, a spring-loaded safety lock and a Black leather-like case. For use with butane refills (not included). Measures 1 1/4 x 3" and weighs just 2 ozs. Lifetime warranty.

Thanks guys for your responses, esp Esav Benyamin!

Esav, this lighter is almost identical with the more known Windmills and Bruntons, however at much lower price!! Maybe this one is the best choice??

Thanks again, regards from dePaul!

I just got my Sportsman's Guide lighter today. I think it's worth the money, but it isn't a deep survival situation piece of equipment. Surprisingly, it has a metal body. The cap unlocks with a push button, and rises to the vertical. That's far enough to light a cigar, but not to put the "flame" flush with tinder. It is, of course, a glowing mesh grid, rather than an actual flame, and very hot.

Since I don't smoke, I'll probably just be using it for arson, or giving people a hotfoot, or some other degenerate purpose.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Esav Benyamin:
Since I don't smoke, I'll probably just be using it for arson, or giving people a hotfoot, or some other degenerate purpose.</font>

smile.gif
Probably the only way to go with this one Esav. Thanks for the additional info. Now I am back to square 1. It will probably be the Brunton Helios after all.

Regards!

Back