Help me choose : Surefire Centurion or E2 ?

E2 if carryability is the top priority. It's smaller, just as bright as the Centurion (w/ P60), but has longer runtime.

Centurion if you can deal with a bigger, heavier light (i.e., carryability isn't as important), but have to have something that works best with a handgun (once you try the Rogers technique, you'll never go back to Harries), or need a waterproof light.

Once I get my E2, it will be my everyday carry light. M2 will be used as a dedicated defensive light, stored with a firearm.

Joe

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge (edited 02-20-2001).]

Thank you.
smile.gif

I know Harries, but no Rogers. . .got any pic?
Or could you please elaborate.
confused.gif

Thanks.

I got an M2 a few weeks ago and have been carrying that daily. The weight and bulk of it is no problem once you get used to it. It'll ride nicely in some pants pockets and also on the belt as well. Though, the 2001 models will have the new shock isolating head which is a bit bigger than the older style heads. Not sure if I'm going to get an E2, though judging from my E1, the E2 will be a great daily carry light.

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

In memory of James K. Mattis

Joe,
The E2 definitely sounds like an interesting addition to the SureFire line-up. However, we've seen some concerns voiced here before regarding SureFire's reluctance to use shock resistant lamps on many of their lights. I also remember some wishing for more waterproof models. Do you know if any of these supposed shortcomings have been addressed in the E2?

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

I told a fellow co-worker the lamps were better now so he asked if he could borrow my E2. He then threw the E2 about 100 feet and it landed on pavement and it didn't blow the lamp, and it is still in focus. He then said he was impressed (so was I to be honest). (Note to self, don't let Andy borrow flashlight) I don't know how it would handle the recoil from a gun but droping it seems fine. I am not saying they are perfect, but they seem to have gotton much better over time, or maybe I am just really lucky. I have serously abused P60 lamps and have only broken one and knocked one out of focus so far.

Brock

Opps, forgot to mention the E2 is NOT waterproof. It is fine in a sink or rain, but under 10 feet of water it leaks slowly.

Brock

I've been a big critic of the SureFire lamp's lack of resilience for some time. I experienced it myself. However, I've shut up over the last year, because I haven't been hearing stories of broken lamps, and in fact have been hearing stories of newer SureFires getting whacked around pretty good and still going fine. Certainly, I've beat the hell out of my E1, with no ill-effects. I've bashed up my M2 a bit also, not as bad as the E1, but it's still going as well. I'm withholding judgement at this point on the resilience of the lamps, since it is looking like it may have improved.

The waterproofness, or lack thereof, still irritates me. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make the thing waterproof, but what do I know.

My ideal light would be a waterproof E2 with a plastic body. The metal, unwaterproof E2 is as close as it comes, and I think I'll be happy with it.

Joe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Santi:
Thank you.
smile.gif

I know Harries, but no Rogers. . .got any pic?
Or could you please elaborate.
confused.gif

Thanks.
</font>

Check http://www.surefire.com/personaldefense.htm

At the top of the page, inset into the 9P and 6P pics, there's the Harries, which you're familiar with.

Set to the right of the 6Z and 9Z pics, you'll see two pics of someone setting up to use the Rogers technique. Why they don't have a pic of the final technique, I'll never know. Basically, your two fingers are wrapped around a smaller-diameter part of the flashlight body, and the on/off button is pressed into your hand. Move your fingers into your hand just a little bit, and the flashlight turns on. The nice thing about Rogers is that the flashlight is right next to the light, and you use the lower fingers of the flashlight hand to support the gun hand, so it's more like two-handed shooting. The two hands are linked together, so wherever the gun goes, so goes the light, and vice versa.

It sounds more awkward than it is. Like I said, once you try it, you never go back!

Joe

I've been told that SureFire have taken the Lamp Modules very seriously over the last year. They've spent a lot of time and effort improving the Lamp Modules to make them more resistant to damage through impacts shocks etc.

I've thrown SureFires around so much I could cry. I have never blown a P60/P61. I believe that inorder to damage the Lamp Module in the new M2 S.A.S. Bezel, you must 1st destroy the flashlight. This requires unholy forces even to damage it. I am yet to scratch the Hard Anodise (it does yeild if the T8 Al gives under intense impact pressure).

The Addition of the New M2 means that all the "Millennium" Series flashlights now have Shock Absorbing Systems. The result are flashlights that can abuse and then some.

Regarding the Nitrolon G2 and the "E Series" Flashlights, to make them waterproof would require atleast three things:

1)Sealed TailCaps with double o-ring seals.

2)"Screw-in" Pyrex lenses.

3)Double o-ring seals on the G2 Bezel-body join and atleast one o-ring seal on the Bezel-body join of the "E Series".

The resultant flashlight modifications may add in length between 5-10mm.

For the G2, I think this increase would be well worth it. As to the "E Series", I don't know if SureFire would increase the lengths on flashlights they're tried so hard to miniaturise!

What I think SureFire should do is offer the E2 now in the Gun Metal as is, then later offer the E2 in the hard anodized finish with the pyrex lens and waterproof O-rings.

Then, the people that just want the E2 for general run of the mill everyday carry purposes will be satisfied with the Gun Metal and for the people who intend to abuse the E2 more and/or use it around water, the hard anodized finish would be perfect.

Why just offer two different finishes without offering at least slightly different features? There obviously is a lot of interest in waterproofness and pyrex lenses, so why not appeal to that part of the market with the hard anodized finish?

Plus, then only the hard anodized finished E2 would be a bit longer in length. For the consumer that really cared that much about the extra length they could purchase the G.M. and for the consumer who did not care about an extra quarter inch at best, the H.A. would be fine. I would be willing to accept a light that is slightly longer if it was waterproof.

Bucky

Yes, thanks to all for the honest assessments. Does anyone by chance have a link to a photo of the E2?

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Please disregard my last request, I just saw Brock's contribution to the "brightest flashlight" thread. Thanks Brock.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Back