help me decide which kabar I should get.

I think I'm going to get a kabar. I love the style of the kabar fighting knife. so I think I'm going to get one that looks similar to that. maybe with another color, or a blade that is a bit different. or maybe something different

the KaBar Bull Dozier, Next Generation, D2 Extreme and the fighting knife are among those I like the looks of.

could you tell me something about how the knives I've mentioned performs? how sharp they are, how easy they are to sharpen, quality of the steel, how the sheets are and anything else that might be useful.

I want my knife to be useful both in the forest and in modern life, maybe in the kitchen.

I can take recomendations on other kabars to.

BK7...search it in the forum...best of that type of knife out there and the price is outstanding! You won't regret it!

I think I'm going to get a kabar. I love the style of the kabar fighting knife. so I think I'm going to get one that looks similar to that. maybe with another color, or a blade that is a bit different. or maybe something different

the KaBar Bull Dozier, Next Generation, D2 Extreme and the fighting knife are among those I like the looks of.

could you tell me something about how the knives I've mentioned performs? how sharp they are, how easy they are to sharpen, quality of the steel, how the sheets are and anything else that might be useful.

I want my knife to be useful both in the forest and in modern life, maybe in the kitchen.

I can take recomendations on other kabars to.

I say, ta hell with that. Kabar 1217 does KP and woodcraft with the best of them. A million Marines can't be wrong. Sure, it has it flaws, but show me a knife doesn't have flaws.

Kabars have been around since before any of us were born, and they still out sell most American made knives, to date. Its got style, and history, and show me another knife that is found in every PX from Iraq to South Korean. Gerber maybe, they make a helluva multitool, but no other large fixed blade.

Kabar, its THE knife if you want verisitility. From the front lines to the kitchen, Kabar does it. Prove me wrong.

From field sharpening to the counter tops, a million Marines can't be wrong.

Moose

KaBar USMC Fighting Knife
serial number KB1217

the information I can find is that it has "Black High Carbon Steel". how is that steel? is it the same steel that's in most of kabars fixed blades?

I love the style of the kabar fighting knife...
Errr... Then maybe... Buy an original KaBar Fighting Knife...?

As far as I know:
Dozier: AUS-8
Next Gen: 440 Stainless
D2 Extr.: D2
USMC Ka-Bar: 1095

Which steel is "best" is situational and personal preference. I suggest you look into steel matters further via google and the search function in. I guarantee you will find everything you want to know in less than 5 minutes and some more.

is it the same steel that's in most of kabars fixed blades?
There is no such thing as "black high carbon steel". Popular knifesteel of KaBar is 1095.
How it performs? It gets the job done.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to get a kabar. I love the style of the kabar fighting knife. so I think I'm going to get one that looks similar to that.

Get it, use it, love it. If you get something else, you're still going to want the Marine knife - why not start with that one?

---

Beckerhead #42

Get it, use it, love it. If you get something else, you're still going to want the Marine knife - why not start with that one?

---

Beckerhead #42

My Dad and Grandpa both carried one in the Marines, they aren't just a knive but also a tool! I don't plan on defending myself with a knife anytime soon, I will just shoot them, you never know though...I recently bought a new version for my Dad, he loved it and brought back a lot of memories, you can't go wrong here...

"I don't plan on defending myself with a knife anytime soon, I will just shoot them"

that's how you do it!!

stick with the 1095. there may be better steels out there but the 1095 is sturdy reliable and proven . the basic usmc ka bar is a great all rounder and will get the job done

Back