Recommendation? Help me find this button head screw, please!

I lost a screw from one of my holsters. Two trips to two hardware stores yielded nothing other than finding out the screw size.

The specs:

8-32 x 3/8" (an assortment is fine as well, if not preferred)
Pan Head/Truss Head Hex
Head - 1/2" diameter

Pic:

DD1FNjJ.jpg

Places I've checked already: McMaster (my go-to), Bolt Depot, Jantz Knife Supply, Knife Kits, Texas Knife, Cleveland Kydex, Amazon, Holster Builder, Artisan Supplies and Holster Smith.

Finding the screw isn't the problem per se. Finding one with the Head Diameter = 1/2" (.500") is. The largest I could find was at Holster Smith with .400" diameter.

The kydex holster in particular is a Safariland kydex ALS type paddle holster; I have several of them I need some spares as well. E-mails to Safarland have not yielded any response yet.

Anyone have any idea where I could get replacement screws?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Two probelms with that idea: 1. I haven't heard from them other than an auto-reply and 2, there is no guarantee they will have the 3/8" long screws that I want.

When this screw unraveled, it basically made my holster useless, which effectively made my gun uncarryable.

A simple screw: I need a variety in case this happens again.

I am surprised the hardware store cannot order what you need. If it is any chain store; they should have a larger variety of screws available to order from their on-line portal.

There are two major suppliers that sell a lot of different hardware for industry, who carry all varieties of screws, bolts, nuts, taps, pins, clips, etc. Not sure if naming them violates the deal spotting rules, but if you know anyone who works in a big industrial setting they would know the names for ordering parts. The companies used to send out catalogs thicker than phone books One company had a red cover, and the other a yellow cover.

I am surprised the hardware store cannot order what you need. If it is any chain store; they should have a larger variety of screws available to order from their on-line portal.

There are two major suppliers that sell a lot of different hardware for industry, who carry all varieties of screws, bolts, nuts, taps, pins, clips, etc. Not sure if naming them violates the deal spotting rules, but if you know anyone who works in a big industrial setting they would know the names for ordering parts. The companies used to send out catalogs thicker than phone books One company had a red cover, and the other a yellow cover.
The yellow one is my go-to (see OP). Nada. :(

I know it’s not the same. But what about a button head flange screw ? Might be close and the flange would eliminate the need for a washer. Or what about using a flat head screw and use a finish washer ?
I’m the pic below I used flat head screws with finish washers. Not the same I know, but not ugly either👍
4ADA1D8D-5E89-4AEF-9225-655E2FD73288.jpeg

I would be the screw you are looking for, they have custom made. I’ve seen hardware I like then when I research. I find it’s custom and would need to order thousands .

I agree certainly not ugly. In fact, striking, very nice work.

You probably have to buy all new hardware to insure everything matches. Ulticlip sell hardware packs the aren’t expensive.

I know it’s not the same. But what about a button head flange screw ? Might be close and the flange would eliminate the need for a washer. Or what about using a flat head screw and use a finish washer ?
I’m the pic below I used flat head screws with finish washers. Not the same I know, but not ugly either👍
View attachment 1766344

I would be the screw you are looking for, they have custom made. I’ve seen hardware I like then when I research. I find it’s custom and would need to order thousands .
I'm holding off buying flange screws until I hear from Safariland. Head diameter for 8-32 is 0.484", pretty close to the 0.500" I'm looking for.

The downside? $3.45 - $3.78 per screw. :( I'm hoping I can buy direct replacements from Safariland, hopefully cheaper.

Thanks,

When you get the new screws, put some removable Loctite on them. The blue Loctite tube I have says it is removable, but I think the red might be too. When I worked in manufacturing we used green Loctite to permanently attach things. You had to grind off the nut after using that stuff, so make sure you don't use permanent sealer in case you have to make adjustments in the future.

Got three screws from Safariland, all were like the originals at 1/4" long. This did offer a fastener kit for $78 with no details as to what was in the kit. I passed.

I highly suggest checking out mcmaster. They have fastners by the truckload, once you narrow it down look at the scematic at ensure its exactly what you need. Or try taking the other screw off and take it to Tacoma Screw or Fastenall if they have a local branch in your area or check thier website for less common hardware. Youll want to know your diameter and thread pitch before you start hunting.

Also you can swap out all the hardware for all similar screws to a different type alltogether assuming it meets the basic size requirements.

Good luck!

I highly suggest checking out mcmaster. They have fastners by the truckload, once you narrow it down look at the scematic at ensure its exactly what you need. Or try taking the other screw off and take it to Tacoma Screw or Fastenall if they have a local branch in your area or check thier website for less common hardware. Youll want to know your diameter and thread pitch before you start hunting.

Also you can swap out all the hardware for all similar screws to a different type alltogether assuming it meets the basic size requirements.

Good luck!
I highly suggest you learn to read. o_O

Yep, not fully reading your post was my bad. I was busy and was multitasking and just glanced at the thread and missed the core details.

The suggestion I made was not bad, just redundant.

It seems that instead of just ignoring my ultimately useless info as it was redundant to your cause, you chose an insulting response as payment for my trying to help.

Well, good luck on your seach. Happy Easter.

Back