Recommendation? Help me fix my damascus blade

I'm making a fixed blade damascus (my second knife) and while grinding the handle a little bit I scratched the steel and lost the etching on the borders of the handle. Since the handle is already with epoxy, I was wondering how should I restore the pattern.

Would it be possible to rub Ferric Chloride since immersion is not an option?

Thank you in advance

Yes ya can put some FC on with a Q tip, also if the nick is not bad some cold blue will fix it. The cold blue is easier to work with and will blend in pretty well. You can also re etch the entire blade which sometime is the better choice as it will come out more even. Seal the front of the handle with finger nail polish and just be careful how deep in your jar ya put the knife. The nail polish can be removed later with acetone.

Yes ya can put some FC on with a Q tip, also if the nick is not bad some cold blue will fix it. The cold blue is easier to work with and will blend in pretty well. You can also re etch the entire blade which sometime is the better choice as it will come out more even. Seal the front of the handle with finger nail polish and just be careful how deep in your jar ya put the knife. The nail polish can be removed later with acetone.

Thank you Dave, Cold blue sounds like an option too! the thing is that is not just a ding but at the end I removed all the contours around the handle. You think it would look fine with cold blue?
If re etching the whole blade with FC, should I cover the whole wood handle with nail polish and throw it in the jar? no harm will be made to the handles?

Back