Help me identify this knife!

Hi all!
I've only very recently made my profile here because I need help from people who know alot about knifes to help me identify one. I know this photo isn't the greatest (and I'm sorry it is a bit gross, if you get squeamish at the sight of blood please look away!) but it is the only picture of it I have.
I'd like to know what knife this might be as it belonged to my dad and he was very fond of it, but it broke during our last hunting trip. I'm hoping I can get him a new one.
image0.png

I had a cheap knife just like that a long time ago, its probably still in a box somewhere in the basement. These were super cheap, the sort that you saw on late night TV being sold in lots of 50 for under $50.... As I remember, it was downright dangerous. The lock didn't work all that well being that it was right where your hand squeezed the handle and it didn't lock up really well to begin with, and if the blade were to close while in use your fingers were wrapped up inside the handle, making for a perfect guillotine....in short, there are plenty of other knives that are far better quality and much less apt to break while in use and remove errant fingers. There is good reason you can't find these anymore...

Yep, and I still have the original fixed blade version that my dad gave me as a kid.
IIRC they were also available under other brands such as explorer, I've seen an all black version with a dragon on the handle, and a chrome handle one that matches my fixed blade. ( at least as it came, the chrome was flaking off so I painted the handle of mine green )

I know your dad is fond of this knife but I would suggest getting him a real knife.
Try the $20 Buck 110LT from Walmart, or the classic standard Buck 110 for $35 which will be right next to it in the case.

Maybe get him a replacement of the junk knife for display and the Buck 110LT for use.

I have never been able to get a good edge on my fixed blade, and I doubt the folder would fair any better.

The 'defender knife' retails for $3.95 made in china. Please don't do this to your Dad.
XXX%20defender-XL.jpg

As others have said, these sorts of knives are not to be trusted.

May I suggest the Cold Steel Bush Ranger as a replacement, instead

XpPxaUa.jpg

Similar in look and feel to your piece of nostalgia, but of far better construction, and promising far better performance. It is worth mentioning that the price (compared to the Fury Defender) will make you sit up, but I would argue that your father's fingers are worth the extra.

If you still want to buy him a replacement Fury in addition, by all means, go ahead. Being able to set both of them beside each other and let him see what a "good" knife looks like might help him understand.

I must concur; if the replacement breaks, it could be a safety hazard, particularly in the case of lock failure. I'm sure several people on this site have stories of digging into their fingers to the bone from a lock that failed.

I'd suggest getting him this knife because it's sentimental (perhaps using parts from the new one to repair the old one?), then hanging that one up and finding a more reliable one to gift.

Back