help me out with a couple terms...

ok, a couple knife terms im not quite sure of.

1.) the plunge : what is it? where does it start?

2.) the ricasso : is that the flat part that people normally stamp/etch their logo/name?

3.) not a term, but why are contact wheels covered in rubber?

4.) what exactly is profiling a knife? cutting/sanding to rough shape?

thanks to all in advance

The plunge is where the edge starts, at the front of ricasso. I refer to it as the 'plunge line'.

You are correct about the ricasso.

I don't know enough about belt grinders to help much on that question.

Roger

because it cushion's the wheel as you work on the wheel. they come in differnt hardness, called durometers. it chatters like crazy if you press steel on a bare wheel. profileing is grinding the outside of the knife, before you start the plunge cut at the ricassio. hope this helps.

Yeh, I forgot about profiling: the shape, its outline. When I profile a new design (or someone elses design that I want to copy) I use that finished 'blank' to trace a template for later use when I want to duplicate that design, or 'profile'.

RL

excellent, you guys are great.

hey, Rlinger where are you in W.Va? im down in SW Virginia.

I am about half way between Charleston and Huntington but closer to Charleston.

The ricasso question was one of my first when I joined this site last spring.

Roger

Re the rubber A lot was said about rubber a 5 or 6 years ago. There were a lot made with groves cut accross them on a diagobal. It was said to help things stay cool.
I believed the publicity and bought one. I have since used a couple of wheels without the groves. I think it feels better and gives a better curve without the groves.

Others may have their own preferance. I am just too cheap to re surface the wheel so its not that bad that I can't live with it.If I bought a new one it would not have groves. They feel smother to me.

I am not a professional either so it may make a difference to them.

I agree with only using smooth wheels. After having tried both, I had all my wheels recovered with a smooth surface. I feel that this gives a much better /soother surface to the grind.and allows me to achive a much nicer hand finnish.

Back