Help me understand the nessmuk blade design

Status
Not open for further replies.
One will never really know since he didn't document if he made it from scratch or not. It's more likely that he made it from a broken knife as others have mentioned, some sort of knife that wore down, broke off or he didn't like the profile of the blade and decided to change it. I think back in the day people recycle everything that could be recycled and patch things up as much as possible, so more likely it was some sort of knife that broke off because someone stated that he liked thin knives.

Hard to say. I've heard a lot of people speculate that- but Nessmuk mentions having so much of his gear custom made even his eating plates and stuff that would be hard to believe it wasn't custom made for a reason. On the other hand it's odd he doesnt' mention the reason for the design.

I own a wide variety of "Nessmuk" interpretations. And, who is to say that the trilogy illustration in the Nessmuk book is the exact knife that Nessmuk used, or continued to use. Speaking with someone who researched the subject exhaustively (locating Nessmuk's relatives and other researchers), I was told that the knife in the illustration was not the knife Nessmuk preferred, and that he actually used several other designs. Outside of that conversation with that individual, I haven't a clue. Nor do I really care. In fact, if Nessmuk was still alive, the man would probably be in jail for neglecting his child support and not so popular with the public. :)

Having been a trained meatcutter in my younger years and, still owning my own ranch butcher shop, being a historical re-enactor of many, many years, I have my own strong ideas about the knife design. However, nothing I can prove for sure. I can easily document my knives for my historical persona, but the hybrid or modified Nessmuk, I simply can't find in the books.

Some of the DC Nessmuks (I made scores of sheaths for the DC's) were the most faithful *to the book drawing* of any of the Nessmuk interpretations that I have seen. Not that it means anything one way or the other, mind you.

My sheath made for some one else's Nessmuk. But, as you can see, the DC's were a close copy of the drawing.
hoodoosheath1jf0.jpg

Blow the book drawing up to about 5", and this knife fits perfectly within the lines. The trick with getting the Nessmuk right (I'm told) starts with the point.
bigorange2re6.jpg

Last edited:
I've never owned or made a Nessmuk style blade. Some of the Nessmuk types are thick and designed to be a chopper. They work well in that respect.

If I made one it would be thin and flexible... I think the hump on the spine would glide nicely when flipped edge up to skin game. Its described as being thin in the book and the flexibility would lend itself to filleting fish.

Just my thoughts..... I'm now inspired to make one I think;)

I have a sheep skinner with the hump and with the blade up when skinning the legs etc you can raise the handle up higher from the leg bone and push it forward at an easier angle then a standard bush knife. You can also place your palm on the hump and do a two handed rocking motion with the knife while pushing down hard to cut something. As a draw knife I would imagine the hump would make it easier to grip more of the blade to pull forward. You may even be able to baton on it easier without breaking the point. Could even smack long bones to break long bones with the hump to get the marrow out for soup making. Just a few thoughts.

I'm with the train of thought, that he started with a skinner and either it broke and he just kept using it, or he modified it so there was a tip for finer work.

I found what I believe to be a Nessmuk and I think my great grandfather made it. Found it in the barn cleaning up few years ago. I use it for everything.......it's amazing. Skinning deer to eating bacon.

I found what I believe to be a Nessmuk and I think my great grandfather made it. Found it in the barn cleaning up few years ago. I use it for everything.......it's amazing. Skinning deer to eating bacon.
That is awesome and I'd love to see pics...... but you just "necroposted" in a 14year old thread... lol

A honest mistake by a new member. In your future postings and searches, we try not to open up older threads, as many of the people who originally posted may not even be here to participate anymore. Rule of thumb... if it's been over a year since the last reply(14years, in this case) and not labelled as a "sticky" at the top of the forum... just go ahead and make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back