Help me with the knife design, please

Thanks for getting back Nathan and I appologise for being impatient.
I understand, what a bummer.
But if you ever decide to make another batch, please let us know. Maybe enough people would be interested to make it cost effective and worth for both you and us.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist - What about the plattens, i would like the flat version of those if feasible to make another one.

Thanks again,
Constantin

We make flat platens here in the shop when we need some or if there is a lull and there is some open machine time. We haven't run any this year but I expect we probably will again at some point in the future.

I went with choice "a", post #39 above. I want to finish the blade, so I can get more experience with all the phases.

Here are some pics with the blade before HT. I will clean up some more on the belt grinder after the HT and follow up by hand afterwards.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-30d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-310.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-30f.jpg

Any comments welcomed.

I’ll post more pics after HT and clean-up on the belt grinder. In the past I’ve never went back to the belt grinder to clean-up after HT, only did it by hand, so I’m looking foward to the experience. I just got a 9” disk grinder, that I may use as well, will see.

Thanks,
Constantin

Last edited:
You are going to be losing some thickness from decarb. If you are worried about losing thickness I would wait till after heat treatment to remove more material. 3/16" is plenty thick. I use 1/4" for knives around 10" to 12" usually because I want the weight. 3/16" will still work out there.

You are going to be losing some thickness from decarb. If you are worried about losing thickness I would wait till after heat treatment to remove more material. 3/16" is plenty thick. I use 1/4" for knives around 10" to 12" usually because I want the weight. 3/16" will still work out there.

Great, thanks again skillgannon.

Happy New Year everybody, I hope you had a great time over the holidays.
I wish you and your families all the best in the new year !!!

This is where I'm at with the build.
HT completed plus some etching and ready for making the guard and handle.

image1.jpg

Thanks again,
Constantin

Last edited:
Good morning,

Just an update on where I am with the build. Finished the guard and throat and will be working on the handle next.
A note on the guard, it is a little thicker than I wanted, but that was all the stock I had on hand. It is made out of O1, same as the blade.

IMG-1729.jpg

And here is the block I plan to make the handle from. Giving a hopefully nice contrast with the throat. The throat is a left over piece of amboina with G10 black spacers, and the handle block is spalted "some wood", the name is escaping me right now.

IMG-1733.jpg

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks again,
Constantin

Last edited:
DAMN IT! I don't have drill bits long enough to drill the handle, and I don't want to burn it in.
Were do you guys get your long drill bits?

p.s. I made a broach to finish the hole, but I need to be able to make the hole deeper.

Thanks in advance,
Constantin

Almost every large hardware store, as well as online sellers carry extended length 8" bits. If you make knives or turn pens, you need some in 1/8, 3/16. and 1/4".

Here is a whole set for $17:
https://www.amazon.com/QLOUNI-200mm...96/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345017308874&psc=1

And here another update. Still need to do some more hand sanding but the overall shape of the handle is what you see.

I will follow up with the final results.

IMG-1745.jpg

Thanks,
Constantin

Hi guys,

Here is the completed project.

It was a good learning experience going through all the phases, even so I new it wasn't "perfect". This is my third knife overall and first in this design. It turned out “ok” but nothing to write home about.
Having said that the next one will be “great” and if not, well the one after, and so on…

I plan to display (for myself in my shop of course) my first 5 knives to see the progression.

I do have a question about making/shaping the handle in relation to the throat, but I think I will open a new thread on that.

Many thanks again, for all the feedback and rest assure I couldn’t have done it without you.

Any comments welcomed. Please critisize what you don't like, it's all good with me :).

Constantin

P.S. I used this home made height gauge to mark the handle and it worked very well, see below if interested.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/1-2-3-block-to-height-gauge-transformer.1640259/#post-18756225

6103526-2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks better than merely "ok" to me! Doesn't look like the typical third knife ever... Very nice work!

Very impressive for a third knife. I think you should be very proud of that effort. How long is the handle?

Thank you guys for the kind words and encouragement, really appreciated.

The handle is 5” long. That’s the feedback I received during the design phase, at the begining of this thread.

Constantin

Last edited:
I came to the sub forum this morning specifically to see if this knife ever made it through to completion (I last checked in several posts back on page 2). Fantastic looking result! It is very clear you had a plan, worked out the details as you went, and the end result is as good as it is because of the up front work you did. This is really nice.

The punisher skull and wood seem a little at odds with each other (hard core tactical versus classic materials, just one man's opinion). Even then, to do an etch like this is really a nice touch. It's a personal element you added, but the planning and execution are great!

Very nice indeed.

I came to the sub forum this morning specifically to see if this knife ever made it through to completion (I last checked in several posts back on page 2). Fantastic looking result! It is very clear you had a plan, worked out the details as you went, and the end result is as good as it is because of the up front work you did. This is really nice.

The punisher skull and wood seem a little at odds with each other (hard core tactical versus classic materials, just one man's opinion). Even then, to do an etch like this is really a nice touch. It's a personal element you added, but the planning and execution are great!

Very nice indeed.

Thank you very much, your feedback will help me in the next build.
I agree, the handle material doesn’t really go with the punisher skull. The original choice was cocobolo or african black wood, but I opted to save these woods for future builds, once my skills get better. Perhaps a synthetic material would have been even better.

I will keep in mind to pay attention to the synergy between elements.

Constantin

Thanks again for all your help.

I am all pumped up over here with all the support I have been receiving. I’m learning more with every knife I make, thanks to you and this is just AWESOME!

Here is a sneak preview on the next build. Once the new thread has been created I’m going to link it in here, for people that want to follow my journey and progression in this great craft.

Update: Here is the link to the next build:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/help-me-with-this-knife-design-and-build-take-2.1641810/

Thanks again,
Constantin

IMG-1760.jpg

IMG-1759.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive for a third knife. I think you should be very proud of that effort. How long is the handle?

i4Marc i4Marc , thank you!
The handle is 5" long.

I have visited your web site and I have to say, WOW beautiful work, sir!

I'd like to ask you a favour, I see among other steels, you have been also working with O1 and A2.
Would you be so kind to share your heat treat parameters? Temp, soak time, temper and expected harness and anything else you may like to add.

Thanks in advance,
Constantin

Back