Help name this knife design? - The Prevail

Status
Not open for further replies.
The version I have is so light and easy to carry on hikes that I forget it's with me....

I could it see it named the Slim Reaper. Although, that names conjures up images of death or a poor harvest.

Even though I really like this, you're right about the imagery. But I think it would be perfect for a filet knife, or a skinny tactical. And also the production versions of this knife will be thicker in blade stock, around the 1/8", whereas I think yours is half that. The new ones will still slice like crazy though.

Aha got it. I'm more likely to avoid using pop culture references. But I have to admit, from your posts, I didn't have you pegged as a boomer!

Lol! No, I'm a Gen Xer, but I do like a lot of classic rock from the 60s.

Got it. I am among the first of the "Millenials".

you could get purposefully esoteric and use an entire phrase like "let's blow this popsicle stand" and shorten it to Popsicle.

I'm going to leave this one to Busse. Let's how long it takes for them to release the "Busse LBTPS" o_O

Prevail or Persevere, perhaps Perseverance.

These are great suggestions. The Prevail sounds particularly intriguing. So I have now narrowed it down to a "short list" of eleven possibilities:

Blend
Can-Do
Carya
Chelicera
Esprit
Keen
Lancer
Marathon
Maxilla
Oblique
Prevail

I still think I am leaning toward The Knife (for) Everyday (&) Every Need. I do love my acronyms! But we will see.

As I sit here watching Tremors 5, I come up with another one, how about The Gummer? Or the Strange Attraction?

Even though I really like this, you're right about the imagery. But I think it would be perfect for a filet knife, or a skinny tactical. And also the production versions of this knife will be thicker in blade stock, around the 1/8", whereas I think yours is half that. The new ones will still slice like crazy though.
This is certainly thin - looks to be slightly thinner than my EDChef in 15N20:
XM6GrL5l.jpg

Did you just finish watching Jurassic World?

Also interesting ideas. I'd lean more towards the adventure themed names over the mustelids, I think anyway. Regardless, you've given me lots more to think about! Don't make it any easier on me... ;)
Everyone needs a Speed Weasel in their pocket.

I've posted a similar design for sale in the exchange today, but it is not the exact same as this one. It is slightly shorter in the handle, and has a broader blade. I am working on finishing the hand profiled AEB-L version of this knife today. Should be done tonight or tomorrow, barring unforeseen circumstances, and by then I will have chosen its model name.

After referring to Google, I think the names "Carya" and "Chelicera" are solid winners with clear connections to the inspiration for the design.

There, that's my $0.02. I really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I've been putting off posting here because it has been somewhat agonizing realizing that I can only choose one out of all the great suggestions. In the end, only one name can ... Prevail. That is my choice. It came down to either than or Keen for me, but Prevail, does have a Spydercoesque ring to it, like Tenacious, Persistence, etc., and like these also implies overcoming adversity. That's something that we all need right about now in these difficult times, so Prevail it is. Thank you @Notaflashyguybyanymeans ! And thank you all.

Here is the hand profiled version made from 62.5 RC AEB-L. The handle is slightly different because I originally designed the blank I used for this knife as something else (a chef knife believe it or not), but since it was my last in stock piece of AEB-L (more is on the way as of today), I made the decision last week to make it into a variant of the, at the time yet unnamed, Prevail.

IMG_9513.JPG
IMG_9512.JPG
IMG_9515.JPG
IMG_9516.JPG
IMG_9517.JPG
IMG_9518.JPG

When I see the profile of this knife it reminds me of the snout on the spuds Mckenzie dog. Can call the knife Spud.

Haha yeah those are good suggestions too, but I already chose the name on post #50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back