HELP! Need info on honing steels

Hello,
I cook for a living and just recently purchased a Shun Hiro 8" chefs knife. I've had it for a week. It performs BEAUTIFULLY but I know that soon it will need some honing to keep it performing. Its cutting core is made from SG2 steel. So I'm wondering what kind of honing steel is right for this knife without destroying my $300 investment? I currently have a diamond powder steel that I use on my old VG2 core knifes. Will this Steel do the trick? Or should i purchase the Steel that comes with the Hiro Line? Or does anyone have a suggestion on a cheaper Steel that will do the trick? Any info/suggestions would me MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Kmcgill419

Nice looking knife! Diamond rod steeling SG2 at 60-62Hrc requires long gentle smooth edge-leading stroke at exact bevel angle, if done correctly voi'la your edge is now toothy (partially ruin imo), else totally ruination. Seriously, I think it would be best if you let a pro sharpen it the first time, you can maintain the killer edge for a long while via strop on a charged 1micron diamond/cbn balsa + plain leather. Learn freehand sharpen skills, it's quite rewarding in many ways.

Maybe Moderator will move this thread to Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment, you'll get more answer there. heck - just lean back, to read many good sharpening threads in the Maint section. Also googling around, you'll find useful sharpening info covered Shun kitchen knives.

Last edited:
All that follows is my humble opinion:

A Shun with SG2 should only be sharpened using a stone of some kind. Whether that be with a guided system like the EdgePro or Wicked Edge....or by hand with stones....doesn't matter.

A honing rod is not a good idea with this steel...you will microchip the piss out of the edge and end up with a bread knife.

You can maintain the knife with a leather strop, although I'm not a big fan of that method either. It will work though.

I prefer to recommend people invest in a couple of stones...one being a rather high grit stone like a 6,000+ grit waterstone and use that high grit stone to maintain the edge. Many chef's leave this stone close by at work so that they can strop with the stone every night after shift. Then, only ever so often, you need to actually resharpen the knife.

There are but a few professional sharpeners in this world I would trust my knives to by the way. Most local "professional" sharpeners use belt grinders to sharpen knives. And although this isn't always bad, more often than not they are not skilled enough to properly sharpen a knife like this. Learn to do this yourself. You invested a lot of money in that knife and learning to sharpen it properly would be quite wise IMHO.

Having your knives professionally sharpened, when they really need it, is a really good idea. Learning how to use a stone, if you don't already know, is a really bad idea with a 300$ knife.

Google vendors or call the local restaurant supply place and they can probably refer you. Expect to pay per inch...but completely worth the money to keep your investment working.

Alton Brown had a pretty good knife sharpening/honing bit in one of his GE episodes. Start at about 5 minutes, unless you're looking to learn how to make a red sauce.

At about 9.15, that's how you hone a blade. All that fast, upright, waiving around that you see Chef's do on TV is just for show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYJWHMq6PY

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I've decided so far to use an old raw-leather belt for maintaining the edge on my blade...until I can purchase a #1000/#6000 whetstone and learn to use it properly. I feel as though the leather will do for a while since it is untreated and will not remove any steel from my knife. Any Further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karson

Depending on the knife I use a couple of different things-
For keeping the edge up on really fine or thin blades I use a Kyocera ceramic "steel". For sharpening I use a ceramic "stone" by MinoSharp. Their medium is 1000 grit.
For other knives I use a F. Dick steel to keep the edge up. I sharpen with DMT stones for really dull stuff or re-shaping and use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for general sharpening.

True steels work best on softer knives, so you'd want to use a ceramic or diamond "steel" for the Shun on account of its harder blade. Personally for that knife I'd go with ceramic.

Back