Help - SOG counterfeit, a proof?

I don't know much about knives. I bought a "SOG 312 BIG heavy folding knife 5cr13mov" from eBay. The following link (google image search) should show some pictures of the product:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SOG...folding+knife&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X

The product was sold as a new SOG knife, it also has the SOG logo. However, no such SOG product seems to officially exist. The product somewhat resembles a SOG FATCAT, but for some weird reason has "flash tanto" printed on it. Product description and the logo makes the product a counterfeit... or does it?

First I contacted the seller, who doesn't seem to think it's a counterfeit. Then I contacted eBay, who said "we will be requiring you to provide us a valid proof of your claim." Also eBay sets the following requirements:

Proof must come from one of the following sources:

•Manufacturer
•Law Enforcement
•Credible 3rd party appraiser​

I am not familiar with US law or appraisers. I did however contact SOG customer care, but they have not yet responded. At the moment I have 4 days left to send documentation to eBay.

Any other ideas how I might produce a proof of counterfeit, considering the above eBay requirements?

A good rule of thumb when shopping for SOG knives is to pay attention to the source of origin of the knife your buying. I would all but guaranty if the knife doesn't ship to you from the United States that it will not be a legitimate SOG knife. To be prudent the time to check the SOG site for the type of knife your interested in buying is before you push "buy it now".

Its certainly a counterfeit. Apart from SOG, I'm not sure who else could help, their staff have not seemed to be around much recently (thought I don't stop in here that often) so maybe that might help.

I don't know what they require for credibility, but I'll give it a go, you could try to send a link to this thread.
Reasons this knife is a counterfeit:
1- The SOG cut-out logo at the heel of the handle is not correct. It should have sharper angles in the letters, closer to a Z for the S and with an angled portion to the center of the G
2- The Blade etch is wrong in two ways. The "cutting bullet" logo is not generally used on the blades of SOG knives, and the Flash Tanto script is the blade etch for a very different knife in the SOG catalogue.
3- The blade lock is incorrect. SOG folding knives of this type of lock use a curved track for the locking bar, not a straight one. The straight track is a characteristic of Benchmade knives, as licensed from McHenry/ Williams. I am unaware of its use by SOG.
4- The general handle shape and blade shape, while somewhat similar to a SOG Tomcat, are incorrect in other subtle differences, though these are harder to pin down as the knife has gone through several versions.

It is my opinion that the branding, logos and overall design were created to mimic the SOG Tomcat knife and to use the branding and reputation of SOG Specialty Tools, to sell this knife by another manufacturer.

I hope you get made right with this, and now you have a great place to learn about knives and how to avoid this in future. Welcome!

Hello!

Situation update: SOG kindly responded to my request and I got an email stating the item is counterfeit. I sent a copy of the statement to eBay, who in turn were quick to decide my claim of counterfeit is valid. eBay is now proceeding the case in "shipment not as described" way, which means the seller should pay for the item return.

I suggested SOG to take in part in eBay VERO program, where brand owners can report or take down fake item listings... I think.

Thanks all, and I hope this might help others involved in counterfeit cases.

Glad it worked out for you. Its a big problem for the industry right now, so the best way is of course to avoid taking the risks. But always feel free to check here first, and see what you can find out. A lot of us have been burned in one way or another by it, so you are not alone in that.

Situation update: The seller kept claiming the product was authentic, I claimed the opposite, we did not reach agreement in a given time period. eBay closed the case and I received a total refund due to "shipment not as described".

Situation update: The seller kept claiming the product was authentic, I claimed the opposite, we did not reach agreement in a given time period. eBay closed the case and I received a total refund due to "shipment not as described".
Good. That knife was in no way legit. Looks like whoever is doing the counterfeit axis locks (ganzo) slapped one on there to make it seem like the arc lock.

A lot of "legit" Sogs on the auction site...total fakes...swim at your own risk!

Just purchased 3 Sog knives off eBay. All knives look authentic and are identical in appearance, size, weight. All knives arrived in original box but 1. There were no numbers, bar code or trademark on box. Also, all 3 knives came with no paperwork or warranty card. I find this unusual. Does Sog ship without documents. Thanks

Back