Help Upgrade My Ladybug

Strix

Basic Member
I find myself moving towards smaller knives, and started carrying my Ladybug as primary. The knife is great, and has so far done everything I've needed it to. The steel is fine, but I'd really like some nicer handles, maybe micarta or G10.

Would a Jester or Air be a better upgrade? Any other recommendations to consider?

Grab a G10 Jester if you can find one...best keychain knife I've ever come across. The handles are almost identical in size to the Ladybug (Mine's actually about a milimeter or so less tall when sitting closed on it's spine), and the jimping at the end of the blade is really useful on a knife of this size. I now have a SuperBlue Ladybug, and the full flat grind and SuperBlue awesomeness make it a better slicer, but the Jester is definitely more solid feeling (Heavier) and I'm sure it's stronger in every way. The Air is nice, but I've held off buying one personally because I like having a pocket clip on my knives, with the exception being the ones that live on my keychain. The Air is more solid and has a fantastic steel but it's just a little too big for my keychain preferences and as such the lack of a clip kills it for me. The smallest non keychain knife I carry these days is my Techno, and even still I typically pair it with a larger Spydie (And my Skeletool CX and Copper Investigator pen), but your motivations/use may vary from mine.

Thanks, 3rdGen, that is in line with what I was thinking, and clears up my hesitation over the Air. Now if only I can find a Jester! Looks like next closest is probably the G10 Manbug.

I love the g10 Jester, but when you can find one the price is usually high. A good alternative is the g10 Manbug.

Manbug pictured at the top with Kopas below.

While I haven't owned the air, I've heard nothing but good things about it! I have the Spyderco Gayle Bradley and it is just simply amazing. The cpm-m4 steel holds a fine edge pretty long. If you look on the Walmart website, you can find spydercos for good prices:thumbup:

Modding an FRN Ladybug would not be easy, as it would mean fabricating both the scales and a new backspacer. The Bradley Air may be an excellent knife, but it appears to lack a lanyard hole, so keychain use would require modification of some kind. G-10 Jester, or better yet the unlined burgundy Micarta version if you can find one, would be much better choices as keychain knives. I've been carrying a Micarta Jester on mine for 10 years. Bolstered G-10 Manbug is a bit heavy, but has the advantage of being the easiest to find. If you'd be ok with a part serrated blade, you can add the Baby Goddard to the list of older models suitable for keychain use.

The Jester is small, but I didn't care for it. Too heavy for the size, especially compared to a frn ladybug or dragonfly.

I've read great things about the Air, but held off because it seems to fill a niche more like my CRK Mnandi than the like the Ladybug. I also have an FRN Manbug that doesn't suit me as well as the Ladybug, so haven't pulled the trigger on the G10 version yet. I haven't seen any Jesters for sale in a while, so it's starting to look like the g10 Manbug may be my best bet until those sprint run carbon fiber or micarta Ladybugs come out.

I love my G10 Jester. It replaced my orange Ladybug. After carrying Jester for couple years, there is no way to go back to Ladybug. Keep your eyes open on secondary market, they show-up. If you patient, you will find any flavor. I saw FRN under $50, G10 around $80. Much more rare burgundy micarta, but even they show up once in a while. You also can place add in wanted section.

Back