Help with 4.25 S&S

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm thinking about a Tinives Stars and Stripes in the 4.25 size and had some questions/requests you guys could help me with. The specific one I'm looking at has the rubber inset thumb screw and is the manual action.

1. Does this knife lock in the open and closed position?

2. What is the OAL? Does anyone have a picture of a 4.25 next to some other knives for comparison? I've heard it's big but I'd like to put it into perspective before I order it.

3. Does it come with a pocket clip?

4. How reliable is Tinives button lock? I have other manual button locks and like them but I've seen them executed with varying degrees of success.

Any suggestion or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

See my review of a 3.25 S&S manual in this same forum on 9-26-01.

I don't believe they have any 4.25 inch manuals S&S left and they were down to three 3.25 inch models when I settled for the smaller one. You may have to look for a used one but I've never seen one up for sale on any of the forums since I've been on them.

They do come with a nice blue anodized pocket clip. There is one up at eBay for sale below list that has a pic of the clip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...&showTutorial=0&ed=1003095324&indexURL=0&rd=1

More bad news, they aren't going to be making any more S&S designs because of the expense of the the graphic process. Scott told me that when I ordered mine.

They may still have autos available but I wanted a manual so i could legally carry it.

If you have more questions, email me.

Thanks Roshi,

I read your review and tried to do as much research as possible before posting, but I could not find aswers specific to the 4.25" model.

I have a line on a new one from a dealer not Tinives direct, just trying to decide if I want one or not.

Thanks for the link to E-bay, that's the first time I've seen the clip, does anyone know for sure if the 4.25 comes with a clip?

CPIRTLE ,

The 4.25 is about 9.5 oal.
The blade is of 3/16 ( by my measure anyway ) steel
Blade width is app. 1.5" at the handle and tapers to app. 3/4 at the begining of the swedge .
The new models come with the clip ( mine is a Tiger patterned auto of 3 yrs. ago , they didn't have clips then )I would ask the dealer before ordering .

I have used both the auto and the manual versions alot , I've never had any problems with the locks . The finish is outstanding on these knives and the graphics on the handles are top notch . I carry my knife alot and the graphics look like new . Sorry my scanner is not working or I would send you some side by side shots for comparison . Buy it , use it and enjoy .

Jerry

Back