Help with an old Cup Hilt Rapier

Have owned this blade for many years now but can't find anything out about it. I believe it may be Mexican or Spanish made? I posted it on a sword site once and after I told the guy I didn't want to sell it all communication stopped. He wanted to buy it obviously. Anyway any insight would be appreciated. Blade is 31 1/2" long and about an inch wide and has never been sharpened. TIA
GcqHU7f.jpg

ZGhEDFb.jpg

ixGFlvZ.jpg

RJMgCGo.jpg

zrtkQV4.jpg

jcHUFbP.jpg

Welcome aboard

Spanish I would think. I don't know these as well as some. I have a new book I would need to spend time on but it seems authentic and early 18th century. I may be way off but going by the pommel, not late 18th century. The screws are accurate fasteners for these.

Cheers
GC

So some poking around and asking questions lead to a pretty good assessment and counters both my first impression and your mentioning Mexico.

Eric Fairbanks facebook
Mid 19th in my opinion some parts may be older most likely an officers dress piece. RM Republic of Mexico.

I skimmed through a 400 page book that is just a start on my own knowledge of these.

Cheers
GC

I have handled a few early replicas of these and this one looks authentic (lacks the markings/etchings of the cheap Toledo replicas). From what I learned about the originals, the hilts are early to mid 19th century with potentially an older blade. These were usually made in Toledo Spain, which is why there are so many cheap early 20th century replicas of them for theater and display.
If horseclover horseclover comes back with more concrete info, I highly recommend listening as they know quite a bit about American/European swords of this period.

Now the RM mark makes sense. Any reason it is blunt edge? I know rapiers were a thrusting slashing sword, would have thought the tip would have been sharpened a bit? Is it safe to assume it is worth more than the $500 I paid for it years ago?

Dress swords were rarely ever given a service edge as they are intended to be more of a ceremonial/status symbol than a weapon (though some did find their way into battle). As for it's worth, you would have to find someone more familiar with selling that era of European swords.

R
Now the RM mark makes sense. Any reason it is blunt edge? I know rapiers were a thrusting slashing sword, would have thought the tip would have been sharpened a bit? Is it safe to assume it is worth more than the $500 I paid for it years ago?
Rapiers were all about the thrust for the most part. The point was most important, the rest of the blade was mostly for parrying. That being said a slash, blunt edge or not, still did some damage. It may never have been very sharp to begin with but I still wouldn't want to get poked with it.

As far as rapiers go that's a very nice looking one.

I've been wanting a rapier for a while, but everything you can find these days is far too flexible to be practical on the thrust.

Back