Help with Car Horn

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
Not just any horn, does anybody have any experience with the trumpet style horns that sound like a train?
I'm "thinking" about buying some but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Those are air horns. They are driven by a source of compressed air. Trains and semis have that source already via engine driven air compressors to support the air driven brake systems. To install on a normal car/truck, it requires the addition of a pretty healthy source for compressed air. Much more than your normal little 12v pumps. There are small air horn systems but I’ve only found them to be enough to be a source of ridicule when used. Then again, I haven’t researched them much, or in recent history.

I thank both of you. I guess inexpensive and loud do not go together.

If you're only doing it for fun, you could use an air tank and keep refilling it as you use it. Air horns can take a lot of air so you probably won't get a lot of noise but you could play around with it.

My dad had a friend a long time ago put a train air horn in his semi under the front steps to get people who try to cut him off. I guess the first time he used it, it started to lock up the air brakes from loss of pressure. He had to bay an auxiliary air tank to run it. Train horns are much louder than the semi-truck air horns.

I think you might be able to get something electronic if you don't have your expectations really high. I think I've seen them in a few motorcycle catalogs back in the day when I had a loud motorcycle and the stock horn couldn't even be heard over the pipes at anything above an idle.

Back