Help With Identification

Sibyrnes

Gold Member
I have an old sword that has been in the family a while. I think my Dad brought it back from Europe after WW II. It measures 38” in length and has a black steel sheath - both in very good condition. Any idea what it is? Any value? Any info would be appreciated.

1_Sword_Handle-0002582.jpg

1_Sword_Blade-0002583.jpg

Last edited:
This is an Imperial German 'lion-headed' sabre. There were many kinds, sometimes made for nuanced purposes (like shooting proficiency awards) but the most common is an artillery officers' model. The maker might just be visible under a langet.

Hey Matthew! Dale has written on SFI and FB about veterans purchasing sabres to commemorate service. Also something about when the scabbards became black.

This one seems to have a word stamped on the wear side but I can't read it. Cannon for artillery, sabres for infantry and cavalry? Navy with one green and one red eye.

Cheers
Glen C.

Thanks for comments so far. Any suggestions where I could get more info?

Which side is considered the "wear side"?

Thanks for comments so far. Any suggestions where I could get more info?

Which side is considered the "wear side"?
When wearing the sword on the left, the wear side is the inside, The plainer side without the decoration on the guard. What does that stamped word read as?

Lots of folks are gathered at this facebook group

Lots of eyes there.

The blankwaffen forums and there are a few German authorities that check into the Bernarnd Levine identification subforum here. I've not seen Germania post there in awhile, he operates germaniainternational and there is the johnsonreferencebooks site with a lot of blades to see.

Cheers
GC

Back