Help with my bugout

I received my new SMKW exclusive bugout yesterday with the OD Green G-10 handles and a tan M4 blade. I used it to cut some old denim pants I have for testing and some cardboard plus paper. It got really dull after only around 10 cuts altogether. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem cause I’ve never had M4 steel in a blade before and I expected it to hold an edge better. It was razor shard right out of the box.

It's not unheard of for a new production knife to have a wire edge that will feel extremely sharp but is very fragile. One thing to check would be if the edge seems to be rolled (you might feel one side catch your fingernail and the other won't) or if the edge seems to be stripped off (might scatter light and look "shiny" right at the edge) With info like that, someone else with the same knife can let you know if the blade is performing within their expectations. Once you know if the final edge was harder or softer than expected, then when you sharpen it again, you'll have a baseline to work from.

Not a lot of companies produce a decent factory edge. They'll usually just throw it on a belt grinder and get a working edge. You're not going to see a steel's real potential until you sharpen it yourself a few times. What sharpening method or system are you using?

Not a lot of companies produce a decent factory edge. They'll usually just throw it on a belt grinder and get a working edge. You're not going to see a steel's real potential until you sharpen it yourself a few times. What sharpening method or system are you using?
This.
OP- I would sharpen that bugout to your satisfaction and use. See if you repeat the same rate of edge retention loss. If it is a wire edge you should be able to get rid of it.

I’ve already resharpened it with a basic worksharp diamond angled pocket sharpener. It’s holding an edge even after I’ve been using it all day so I think it’ll be fine from now on. I was just worried it might not be that good of steel and someone on here would’ve had experience with it.

I’ve already resharpened it with a basic worksharp diamond angled pocket sharpener. It’s holding an edge even after I’ve been using it all day so I think it’ll be fine from now on. I was just worried it might not be that good of steel and someone on here would’ve had experience with it.
If you've sharpened it and it's performing better, it's probably a wire edge or a burnt edge as others have mentioned. For the record, when I get a new knife, I usually cut a few things with it to see how the factory edge and angle performs. Then I usually reprofile it to a more acute angle and start using it. I've never been completely happy with a factory edge save for a few instances.

From what I've seen on YouTube videos, you may have to sharpen any knife several times before you get to the steel's full potential.

But I am far from an expert. I'm just repeating what's on the Internet.

Benchmade is pretty consistent in making extremely mediocre factory edges. I had the same experience with my 20CV bugout from BHQ. Usually they come barely able to cut paper without ripping.

I received my new SMKW exclusive bugout yesterday with the OD Green G-10 handles and a tan M4 blade. I used it to cut some old denim pants I have for testing and some cardboard plus paper. It got really dull after only around 10 cuts altogether. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem cause I’ve never had M4 steel in a blade before and I expected it to hold an edge better. It was razor shard right out of the box.
M4 is fantastic for holding an edge. When I moved a number of years ago I used a mini grin for cutting cord when boxing and unboxing stuff, and the edge lasted for more than 6 weeks. It makes ZDP189 look like soft butter knife stainless. I use a diamond stone to touch it up, but ceramics will work as well. It gets very sharp and stays sharp for a very long time.

I have a SMKW M4 Bugout, too. I think gadgetgeek, tokerblue, and KenHash are spot on with this. I've used mine some and had it on a 1-mic diamond emulsion strop a good bit. The edge is starting to settle down and hold a real razor edge for a length of time now. Just spend some time using it and refining the edge. It'll come 'round to your likin'.

Back