Help with new sharpmaker and starmate!

This place is great-I've learned alot. Recently got a starmate (plain edge) and a sharpmaker 204. Read the book but could not watch the tape due to lots of static/lines across the screen...but no big deal. So far I have not been able to put a good edge on my starmate. I try everything that is suggested, going down the 4 steps, counting and such, but still nothing great. I am keeping it at a 40 degree angle. Is a wider angle better for the 440 steel than the 30-I've read about "staple tests" and such and would think a broader edge would help prevent chipping or rollover...or should I just re-do the 4 steps with the 30 degree and just not worry about it? If someone could hit some basics for me and put me on track, I would appreciate it.
Please, share your knowledge!
thanks in advance,
cheers,
Derek
PS-this starmate has me almost trading in my m2 afck for a military!

Hi Derek. Was it sharp when you received it? Did you actually get it dull?

With a dull pc, I normally stay on step one until it will cut paper, before proceeding.

The video is really helpful, if yours is a dud, contact us for a replacement. 800-525-7770.

sal

It was not exactly dull when I received it, but it is a second hand knife (great shape-no marks of any kind except a hint of wear on the clip) but he said he had not sharpened it. It had a good edge on it, but I thought it could be better! No fault of y'alls, of course He probably cut alot of paper with it or something. I just don't want to sharpen it to too tight of an angle, especially since I don't exactly know what I am doing yet-and I would think the blade would be more suceptible to damage the "thinner" it is-or am I off here as well?!
Thanks for such a great product-I'll call tomorrow for that video-it was annoying to just listen to-wife thought I was crazy!
cheers,
Derek

Back