Herbst Collaboration

Last week I received my numbered Peter Herbst/Spyderco collaboration. I just wanted to say that I am very impressed with its design and execution. It is very comfortable in the hand and is a nice size -- not to big, not too small. The fit and finish are on par with the Viele although the action on mine doesn't seem to be as smooth as on my Viele. Great job, Spyderco and Peter Herbst! Nice knife!
Has anyone else bought one of these yet? What are your impressions?

------------------
Blue Skies!

Got mine a month ago, and I, too, was impressed well beyond my expectations. It's a perfect size, executed with style and precision.

It's a good fusion between a tactical profile and an upscale, carryable "look". I can accomplish most any of my common tasks with the working features (handle contours, blade profile & steel, etc.), but at the same time, it's a knife that I don't feel uncomfortable opening in public.

I think that if more people take a good look at the Herbst, it will be a real sleeper.

My question is, where the heck are you guys getting these Herbsts' at?

This is a new run? I've trying to hunt one down for a couple of years now... any idea where i can get one?

Thanks!

Firebat

------------------
Name's Ash......Housewares.

Firebat,

The Peter Herbst C53 that is widely available now is the new retooled version made in Seki City with ATS55 blade and aluminum handle.

The one you are looking for is the original version which was made in Germany by Boker with 440C and a Titanium handle. This one can be distinguished easily from the new by the blue coloring in the ti-handle design.
The original was not widely distributed and a large number were held back due to some QC problems that have been corrected in the new version.
If you have an original, hold onto it since it is very collectable and the prices have been going thru the roof at the shows lately.

recoil

I was able to locate mine on eBay of all places. I also ran across a listing when I did a search on Knifecenter.com (I think). I remembered hearing about it on the forums earlier this year, so when I finally found it I scooped it up. This is the first time I've heard of ATS-55, but no complaints yet.

------------------
Blue Skies!

I found one of the new Herbst knives today at a local Brick and Mortar store. I have wanted one of these since the original titanium versions were released. As mentioned above, it is an ideal size and has good ergonomics. It is a real "gem". I think these will be a hit once they are more widely available and get some exposure. ...Ed.

FYI

For anyone interested in an ORIGINAL titanium version Herbst;
There is one currently on a well known auction site.

NO, it is not mine.

recoil

I have not seen nor handled the updated Herbst yet and look forward to comparing it with the original. I'll have to reserve judgement on the updated version but I can comment on the original--real smooooooth action. A mental comparison of the materials used on the respective knives would make me tend to favor the original. If you can find one of the original models (disregard the "alleged" quality control faults) and buy it.

I'm glad to see the Herbst back in production. The whole design appeals to me, straight forward, utilitarian design. Plus the contoured handle fits well in the hand. Great using design.

The updated version has much better lockup than the German made ones did. However, I do like the titanium handles of the first ones, though you can't have everything I guess
smile.gif
Spyderco did a great job on the update!

------------------
Proud member: AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

Living life on the edge

Dexter, I've always "sensed" that the original Herbst was different from other Spyderco knives but couldn't quite figure out why and concluded that it was due to the 440C blade material, exceptionally smooth action, and titanium handle material. However, after reading your last post it finally hit me--the handle is contoured! Are there any other Sypderco knives with contoured handles?

Back