Heresy it may be...

First and foremost, I would like to say that I love Busse knives and think that they are some of the best, if not the best knives in the world. They are clearly the toughest knives in the world, bar none.

Toughness is THE most important thing about Busse...toughness is its "raison d'etre" of sorts. I feel the new improvements to the Busse line are nearly all absolutely great, and ARE improvements. The crinkle finish, the new handle scale fasteners etc. are really great, and are vast improvements. But, there is one suggestion I have, which I wouldn't say if I didn't believe a lot of people are thinking the same thing I am.

The knew models just aren't as sexy or appealing as the old models. This is due to the angled handles and the loss of that beautiful clip point on the Battle Mistress. Ok, I've said it...whew. Now before you guys bring out the flamethrowers and blowtorches, please listen to my argument.

First, I think I'm right in saying that the E handles are supposed to form a better chopping angle, as well as improving ergonomics, right? Well, I think that realistically, only the BM will see most of its use as a chopper. (Some people will probably argue that the SHII is also mostly a chopper. But if you guys want to really do some chopping, get a BM, a hatchet, a khukuri etc. The SHII is first and foremost a KNIFE for cutting etc.)

Now, will the angle change really help chopping much? I mean, machetes don't have a curved handle, and they are heavy choppers, and chop very well. If you feel a curved handle is absolutely necessary, why don't you atleast lessen the angle between the blade and the handle, or even make the blade just slightly bolo-ized (put a curve in the blade edge). But, in my opinion, making the handle just slightly angled from the blade, using the new handle features (industrial fasteners, quilted micarta, less "bird-beak" near your pinky for less abrasion), and bringing back the clip to the blade would make the perfect Battle Mistress. It would work just as well, and look a heck of a lot sexier and "badder". But, if one Busse blade had to have an angled handle, it should be the BM. Although it's not my choice.

The SHII and Natural Outlaw, in my opinion, are NOT choppers. Having a curved handle, therefore, doesn't really help them. It just makes them look arkward. I mean, I can't imagine a curved blade helping cutting performance or ergonomics at all, especially on such a small knife as the NO or the proposed BA-E. I think that the angled handles on these knives look arkward and serve no purpose. I mean, the older Busses in these models were awesome looking. They were unique, yet beautiful. I suggest a hybrid, as with the Battle Mistress. For these models, I suggest no angled handles, but that these models should keep the other new features (industrial fasteners, quilted micarta, less "bird-beak" near your pinky for less abrasion). I think the angled handles actually could make the knives in certain circumstances arkward to use, but I'm not sure, and that isn't my main argument at all.

From a production point of view, straight-handled knives take less steel to make, thus lowering production cost. That money could be used to improve some other part of Busse Combat Knives (though finding any other things that could be improved would be hard...).

Look, all I'm saying is that I think Busse knives were sexier and "badder" looking before the E handles, and they could look that way again (even better maybe) while still retaining all the improvements that the E handles have, except having straight handles. I've heard quite a few people on these forums say (even members who really know Busse knives) that they preferred the straight handled. For example, just recently I heard in the Knife Exchange a person who was selling a SH2E remark that he probably wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't an E model. That's a pretty strong statement in my opinion. Let me say again that I think Busse knives are great, and that I'll probably get a Busse sometime this year, but also that if the Busses had straight handles and the new features, I'd buy one much sooner. I think many other people would too. Note: this is not a criticism. It's a suggestion on how to improve an already great product. Jerry and company, all I'm asking is that you'll give it some thought.

Do you guys think I'm right, wrong, or what?

Busse Combat Knives Rule!!!!!
That being said I think the INFI straight handle knives werre the finest knives EVER made.
Look at the market for straight handle Busses
the prices have sky rocketed.
E-handles are nice, I'm sure they are great choppers but they are not, imho, as great as the straight handles. They are still better than any other knife though
smile.gif

Yours in nuclear yearning for a straight handle return,
Chad

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"Those who hold the thin blue line keep order, and insure that anarchy and chaos will not prevail." Chad (1992)
"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword. He who dies by the sword did not train hard enough" -Chad (1999)
chad234@email.com

I can't say I agree. I have owned both straight and E-Handled Busse Combat Knives, and the E blades are much more comfortable in use. Imho, they allow for longer chopping periods with less fatigue.

The SHE is, by most standards, a BIG knife. Years before I started acquiring large custom knives I was able to build shelters and perform camp/survival tasks with a 7" knife. I have plenty of friends, who, while serving their country, went through survival training with the old 5" blade Air Force knife, or the USMC knife. I know some very astute "cave man campers" that would probably do fine with a broken beer bottle!

In addition, the longer handle configuration of the E blades enables you to "choke down" on the handle, it will then chop like a larger blade. While my perception is most probably wrong, I cannot tell that much of a gain in chopping performance between my SHE and E handled BM variant. Again, this is just how I've percieved the two in comparison; others will obviously have different results.

I do agree that the original BM has is a beautiful blade...probably the most pleasing of the whole Busse Combat line. But, I really did not like using, or carrying it too much; I did, however, like the comments it would elicit!
wink.gif
Despite its too thin handle, and pinky abusing pommel, it was a great chopper...but I wouldn't go so far as to say its heft and length made it superior to the BME.

Then again, when I first opened the box with my SHE, the first thing I thought was..."SEXY", pictures just can not do that blade justice.

I am certainly amazed that Jerry Busse could take a tragic injury that might have ended an impassioned career and use it to improve upon an already great design. His misfortune has been our gain.

Anyway, I'm just one guy, and certainly no authority on bladeware. When the next big blade is unvieled by Jerry, I will no doubt yield to my obsession.

Yes, the straight handled BM was the best Busse ever, IMO. And yes, I would still prefer the clip point on a BM, even if we're stuck with the E handles. But I don't think we'll ever have straight handles again, at least not the same design as before. And IF there is ever a clip pointed BM again, the overall design will still be way different than the original BM's--again, IMO.

Regardless what Jerry decides to do or what designs he decides to produce in the future, I wish him and his company great success, and I'll always be a fan (short for 'fanatic').

Make mine straight handled, or none at all.

[This message has been edited by volvi (edited 03-09-2001).]

This will surley be a neverending controversy. But I like the straight handles better. Maybe I fear change, but I also know what worked for me. I have owned 2 BM's, 1 SH2, and a Mean Street, all with straight handles. And love 'em! I have handled the E models and they just didn't appeal to me. To each his own right? My vote is to offer both styles if possible. One other point I have is, it's my understanding the E handle makes chopping more efficient. But knives are not just used for chopping. And the NO can hardly be considered a "chopper" in the first place.

Excellent input. Please note that the new Badger Attack E, although ergo in nature, does not have the same level of drop as the larger knives in its handle's position. Also, all of the new models that are forthcoming will have straight handles. Straight handles can, likewise, be very ergonomic and we believe that these new designs will prove to be very effective and popular. Thanks for your feedback. This forum has proven to be invaluable for evaluating many of our new designs and features.

Yours in nuclear feedback,

Jerry Busse

Jerry,
First off, I think that the SH II is the sexest knife ever made. The only problem is that by the time I could afford one they were no longer being made.
Is there any chance of seeing some pictures or drawings of the new modles that are comming out?
Yours in nuclear longing,

Shawn R Sullivan

Hey Jerry, thanks for dropping in. You said that all new models you produce will have straight handles. First, when do you think these new models will be out, if a date has been set, and second, what sizes/types of new models will be produced? Anyway, thanks for all the responses guys.

Jerry,
My BA-E's handle does indeed have the same drop as my BM-E. The BA-E's exposed tang is just a bit shorter, unforunately.

Rich

HOLLY CRAP! should the new designs include a straight handle can you imagine a striaght handled Natural Outlaw that looks liek the original Steel Heart. What an awesome field knife that would be. I love Busse knives... but the E-models don't fit my hands. Now that, I'm sure, is my fault. But the curve on the back of the handle (especially when the tang seems to stick out 1/32 or so more than the handles slabs) seems to beat up the palm of my hand when doing some serious chopping. The blade angle is great for chopping but I find I get more chopping done with the straight handle because it doesn't hurt to use after an hour. And once again I feel that this has a lot to do with my big a$$ hands and the fact that I may just chop in a retarded fashion. But I definately perfer my straight handle BM to the E.

------------------
"You can take a ride through this life if you want. But you can't take the edge off the knife."
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/albumList?u=879893&Auth=false

Straight handled Natural Outlaw??? Is it true! INFI?

------------------
"KEEP IT SIMPLE"

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

:
Ryu it isn't just you.
I have fairly large hands, but short, stubby fingers and I found the e-handles uncomfortable as well.
They are just to large for me even with the large hands to hang onto them with. The Basic 9 I have fits my hand perfectly!!!

I put my E-BM on my Grizz and ground the top of the handle off quite a bit as well as the palm swell below it.
I also used a heavy wood rasp and rounded the square micarta off to a more rounded shape.
That helped one helluva lot!!!!
And I may not be finished with my E-BM yet, as I want to use it a bit more until I see if I have taken enough material off, if not back to the Grizz it goes until it's just like I want it.
I can't see any sense of having any knife, no matter how good it is if it isn't comfortable to use.
And right now it's pretty comfortable, just don't want to take to much off since it can't be put back on.
smile.gif

I bought the knife to keep and use so I don't care about the resale value it might have had left alone.
And I would do the same with any production knife I may get, but I have to admit the reports of the large handles on the Becker Line has put me off of them until I get to handle one in person.

------------------

>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

My own personal preference is for the straight handled knives. I've used the entire straight handled production line, and the entire e-model production line. The e-models outpreform the straight handled model every time for me. More comfort; less effort to get more work done. I'm just old fashioned I guess; grew up with straight handled knives, prefer them today. As far as preformance goes though....I'd go with the e-models.

--Morg

Back