"Hero Found" by Bruce Henderson

The other thread got me re-interested in Dieter Dengler. So, I picked up HERO FOUND and read it yesterday.

It's definitely the most comprehensive work I've seen on Dengler's life, starting from when he was a kid in Germany. It's not just backstory filler, his upbringing really played a part in his escape from Laos.

A very interesting character, I feel the book portrayed him honestly, the good and the bad.

From a survival standpoint, there are many things to learn. Dengler developed a survival mindset early on, by far the most important piece of "gear" you can ever have. When he went to SERE school, he graduated with the distinction of the only one to ever gain weight during the course. He puts Bear Grylls to shame as to what he'd eat. It's funny that when Dengler was rescued, one of the helicopter crewman was so startled when he opened Dengler's ruck, he jumped back and almost fell out of the chopper--it was a half-eaten raw snake:thumbup:

One of the things that struck me about Dengler was while on the carrier in between missions, he was constantly working on contingency plans if shot down and captured. This led to him developing a cover story, custom-making gear and hiding E&E tools on his body. The other pilots sort of thought he was nuts as the prevailing mindset was that pilots don't spend time planning to get shot down. Ironically, Dengler ended up losing much of his gear almost immediately and his cover story wasn't all that effective, primarily because the Laotians didn't know German from English. But he had the mindset of preparation and so much of success is just that--menial, tedious preparation. I've always been a believer that what people call "luck" is just preparation manifesting itself.

The other thing that I noticed in the book was how quickly the government stopped looking for him, even though they inspected his downed plane, saw there was no blood and saw that the straps had been released, not cut. So, obviously he walked away. This was primarily because the government was not acknowledging that we were bombing Laos. There was even some speculation that he just ditched his plane so he could escape the military. :mad:

Even once he was finally rescued, the government gave him the 3rd degree, even polygraphing him and giving him "truth serum" to see if he ever did anything against the US while he was in captivity. Like if, in between suffering 2 different types of malaria, hepatitis, dysentery, malnutrition, escape and re-capture, contracting every infection known to man and getting tortured and beat unconscious on a routine basis, he might have signed something saying he didn't approve of the military's actions. Again, even once rescued, the government tried to keep it quiet for awhile.

Those parts just brought home the fact that if you are in a bad situation overseas, you're survival is up to you. Particularly if you're a civilian, don't think everyone in the State Department is running around wringing their hands over just how to get you out of your predicament.

There are many other good parts to the book and I won't bore you guys but if you're interested in survival and the accompanying mindset, you will probably enjoy this book.

Thanks for sharing that one. I'll have to check it out and add it to my "To Read" list.

-Nadz

I still have the Soldier of Fortune issue from when I was a kid that had the story of Dieter Dengler in it. :)

The picture of him in the article and the rest of the stuff that I wrote in the other thread about him the other day have just stuck in my mind for years.

Col. Nick Rowe was the prime mover in having a lot of that mistreatment of returned captives changed entirely.

In the movie "Rescue Dawn" his fellow pilots snuck him out of a hospital where he was basically detained by other members of government service. I read somewhere that the Captain of his ship sent the SEALs to go get him and they were the ones that secreted him away from the three letter people that had him. I don't know if that is true or not but if so, that's one hell of a story, isn't it?

Anything in this book about that?

Great info on Dengler and his back round! You know it's funny, two of my really good friends are pilots on the Air Force. One flies KC-10 refuelers and the other F-16's and neither of them ever has any kind of mind set of ever being shot down. I'm not sure if it's something that they accepted and just don't like to talk about as pilots, but to me they don't seem to think it'll happen. That's great that he had the fore thought and willingness to accept the worst ahead of time and prepare for it mentally.

I don't think Dengler even had to prepare for it mentally. I think it was so ingrained from the time he was a child that this type of mindset was just second nature to him. It was his already-existing mindset that led him to prepare with the gear and gaming the whole thing in his mind. The only thing that would have probably stopped him was if they just executed him or he was shot in the back during his E&E.

I don't think Dengler even had to prepare for it mentally. I think it was so ingrained from the time he was a child that this type of mindset was just second nature to him. It was his already-existing mindset that led him to prepare with the gear and gaming the whole thing in his mind. The only thing that would have probably stopped him was if they just executed him or he was shot in the back during his E&E.

Yeah, when he was in the military, he was using snares that HIS MOTHER TAUGHT HIM when he was 8 years old in Germany!

This was a guy, who even after his military career and after he got back to the States, he used to sit on the front porch and neighborhood kids would bring the nastiest bugs and other things over to his house to dare him to eat them. He always ate everything.

It was almost heartbreaking to watch him open the front door of his house over and over again as if he had OCD in "Little Dieter Needs To Fly." I don't know how much was him and how much was Werner Herzog screwing around with the truth. I really don't know. But he had a lot, A LOT, of food in his pantry and stocked under the floor of his kitchen. It was obvious that growing up in Post-War Germany and then almost starving to death in Laos left a mark on him.

Yeah, he kept 1,000 lbs of rice, 1,200 lbs of flour and 300 lbs of honey under the floor.

He also bought a restaurant when he came back.

Reminds me of that Tom Hanks movie when he wanted ice in everything after he got off the island.

Interesting guy, no doubt.

What other good case study you got for me to go study, Dr. Don?

Reminds me of that Tom Hanks movie when he wanted ice in everything after he got off the island.

You will notice that he skipped the seafood platter portion of the welcome home party. :D

What other good case study you got for me to go study, Dr. Don?

Rene Belbenoit.

There is good reason to believe that Henri Charriere ripped off Belbenoit, to a degree. Charriere is an interesting guy, too.

Good book finished it a couple of weeks ago. Having been in law enforcement and still teaching some of this stuff I'm very interested in mind set and those who survive.

I think Dengler's childhood and growing up using his wits and thinking out side the box is what allowed him to survive. Also, facing hardships and living through them gained him the ability to see his present circumstances as something temporary and forced him to keep going. Others facing the same hardships for the first time may be so overwhelmed that they give up and die.

Another recent book that you might like that is similar is "The Forgotten Highlander" by Alistair Urquhart. I've long been fascinated by the personal accounts of POWs and there is much to learn on many levels from their stories about survival and the nature of man.

Speaking of reading I've just finished "Extreme Fear: the science of your mind in danger", by Jeff Wise. Some really fascinating information on the brain and its functions during moments of high stress.

Back