• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hero Outdoors

Does anyone have experience with this seller in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada? I've been looking for a knife that's been out of stock everywhere, and found it for sale at this store. I usually check reviews on sellers before buying, but it was 3 AM, and I was too excited, so... In any case, I checked after ordering, and there's nothing but bad reviews for the last two years, particularly of them offering items that are not in stock. I've emailed and called as of this morning, but there's been no response. I'm not holding my breath, and since it was paid through Paypal G&S, I'll eventually recover the money if it doesn't work out.

In any event, I'd appreciate hearing anyone's story related to this shop. Thanks!

I recently placed an order with them as well. Payed with PayPal as well so not too worried.

I was tempted to try because an out of production Spyderco was listed as in stock and at a decent price.

Definitely weird vibes already though. There were alot of hard to find Spydies listed as in stock on their site. I also found two different listings for the same Spyderco that had different prices. I chose the cheaper of the two and have my fingers crossed, but am not holding my breath.

The reviews for this place indicate that I can expect either delayed shipping, or an attempted bait and switch with them offering store credit instead of a refund.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I saw a few knives there I wanted and knew they were discontinued...so I called the store and asked if they were in stock. I got the reply, “yes, the website says we have them.” I said “Can you physically check for me? Im driving hours to get these.” Response...”I checked and we are out of stock. You can order online and they will ship when we receive more.”

I havent even looked at the website since.
Dont waste your time. There are other canadian dealers worth their salt. In this day in age, realtime websites are a must.

It is a common bait and switch tactic.

I saw a few knives there I wanted and knew they were discontinued...so I called the store and asked if they were in stock. I got the reply, “yes, the website says we have them.” I said “Can you physically check for me? Im driving hours to get these.” Response...”I checked and we are out of stock. You can order online and they will ship when we receive more.”

I havent even looked at the website since.
Dont waste your time. There are other canadian dealers worth their salt. In this day in age, realtime websites are a must.

It is a common bait and switch tactic.

Thanks for your comments. You're exactly right; looking over their site after I ordered, I knew it was going to be a problem, since there was a lot of discontinued knives. No way they had the remaining stock of all these. That said, it seems that they're not being as forceful with trying the "switch." Many of the reviews I found said it was very difficult to get them to cancel and refund your order, if you could even get them on the phone. However, earlier this week, I was able to get someone on the phone, who was very helpful, and I had no problem getting refunded. On the other hand, the knives are still listed as being available on their website....

Thanks for your comments. You're exactly right; looking over their site after I ordered, I knew it was going to be a problem, since there was a lot of discontinued knives. No way they had the remaining stock of all these. That said, it seems that they're not being as forceful with trying the "switch." Many of the reviews I found said it was very difficult to get them to cancel and refund your order, if you could even get them on the phone. However, earlier this week, I was able to get someone on the phone, who was very helpful, and I had no problem getting refunded. On the other hand, the knives are still listed as being available on their website....

Glad to hear. :)

I just got my money refunded. No contact from the store. Just a prewritten email with a list of reasons that I may have received a refund for. What a waste of time.

Last edited:
Yes, mine was refunded, too, after contacting the store. I was surprised that it was not difficult to get the refund after all the comments I read. Glad that you did get your money back.

In THIS article, the owner states that he doesn't know what items they sell, and that items are fulfilled by other online vendors.

I was look for stilettos a few years back but decided not to place an order, ultimately because of the weird vibes(lots of discontinued products)and reviews.

Back