Hesco Meprolight/Israeli Military Watch. . .Good?

Hi,. . .

I was looking for the nice Military and/or Divers style watch few days ago, and bump on this watch from Israel. http://arizonag.iserver.net/Products/HescoMeprolight/militarywatches/militarywatches.html

And a bit more info about it here. . . http://www.4abnet.com/israeliseal.html

I'm interested in model: ML44228
It seems good. But is it GOOD? Worth your $$??

1. Anybody around here has direct experience with this watch?
2. How does it perform, comparing to other famous brands. . .Luminox, Wenger, Swiss Army etc.
3. I'm wondering if the brightness of the "self-illuminated" might become a draw-back, that it would "jab" my eye all the time in the dark.
4. Any other comment welcome.

Thank you.
(PS:I'm not a watch collector or military stuff collector. I don't care about its name on the dial. I don't care if it's really got a real military contract either. I just want some good watch with military/diver look.)

I have one one now. Not as bright as the Luminox, but heavier/beefier. I wear this one most of the time now, also keeps good time.

------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
copfish@aol.com

Santi,
I also have one each of the Luminox and the Hesco watches, and to be honest, I'm having a tough time deciding which I like best. Aesthetically, I think I like the Hesco better. Having the crown at the 4 o'clock position is a nice touch, reminiscent of the Seiko diving watches, which also helps to keep it out of harm's way. I also like the smooth metal case and the metallic face of this model. I will admit, however, that the unidirectional rotating bezel on the Hesco feels a little cheap in comparison to the Luminox. It doesn't click from one detent to the next very crisply and will twist backwards a distance equal to two minutes rather easily. This may just be a problem with my particular watch, but I don't know. Maybe Copfish could check back in and report on the fit of his bezel.

The Luminox, on the other hand, gets high marks for being slim and very light weight. You can almost wear it without even knowing it's there. The Hesco, by contrast, is even thicker than a Rolex Submariner, if that helps to put things in perspective. The polymer case of the Luminox I own is also somewhat more comfortable than a steel case when worn in very cold temperatures. Unlike Copfish, I can discern no difference in brightness between the two when held next to one another in full darkness. In any case, while either of these watches will be far brighter than any non-electrical watch illumination system you've experienced before, neither is so bright as to be painful to the eyes. I doubt that they would even compromise your night vision to any significant degree. Good luck, it's a tough decision to make between the two.
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

My Hesco is duller than the Luminox by a few shades, but it is even (all vials are the same brightness), not just a vial or two. Yeah, my Hesco bezel looks good but the detents suck, I can bump it off the setting real easy. Still I like both watches.

Are the Israeli Military watches still being made? I know hesco did have a website for them and now I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can find it? I have one that I like very much but am considering selling it. I have only worn it about half a dozen times and I cant see keeping it. I am trying to figure out what a good asking price would be. However if they aren't being made anymore I may keep it as a collectible.

------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com

I called up the folks who use to import Hesco, and Meprolight routed me to contact Kimber USA/America out of NY. I had the phone number and mailing address, but its lost somewhere on my cluttered desk.
frown.gif

My Israeli Hesco is a couple of notches dimmer than my Luminox 'Navy Seals' watch. I wear my Luminox most of the time since its half the weight of the Hesco. I've bashed both watches on metal door frames and they are fine.
smile.gif

I would be more inclined to go with Luminox only because they are a larger company and should be around for the long run. Luminox has several nice models with many band options, several face colors and styles.
smile.gif
I know if you had a problem with one of the tritium vials on the Hesco they have to send the watch back to Israel for repair since.
frown.gif

The Hesco is well made EXCEPT for the cheesy bezel that can be shifted out of position with little effort.

BTW - if you do get a Luminox that has a rubber band on it and you find it doesn't conform to your wrist, roll/curl up the band like a towel and it takes the 'set'. If I take the Luminox off I keep it closed on the size I would wear it on.

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by maddog2020:

BTW - if you do get a Luminox that has a rubber band on it and you find it doesn't conform to your wrist, roll/curl up the band like a towel and it takes the 'set'. If I take the Luminox off I keep it closed on the size I would wear it on.
</font>

Have you seen the new bands that are offered with the Luminox?

luminox3901.jpg

They can be bought at http://www.parsecent.com/

------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com

Back