Hessian or Burlap Micarta khukuri

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
While it may seem like some time since we've introduced a new material, we're always experimenting with our custom orders and trying out new things.
Something new we tried out recently was making burlap or hessian micarta. While it was a little trickier than regular micarta due to the loose weave and needing a lot more compression, the end result is something we're really happy with.

full

It's very soft and grippy to the hand and not all rough. We also really like how it has a lighter more organic tone than some of our other micarta. This is completely unoiled here and it looks nice and... raw?

full

What do you guys think? Is this a material you'd like to see on more khukuris? Would you choose it over say the classic black micarta for a workhorse blade?
Does it have a wide enough appeal to become a standard material?
Let us know!

full

Nice!! I am a big fan of the look and feel of burlap micarta. But especially in dark dyed colors, like green and brown where the contrast with the fibers gives it some visual pop.

It may have a better feel in the hand when using? I have never handled one with that type of handle. So usability and practicality are things I dont know. Alternatives are nice to have, but in general and speaking of looks I dont see the appeal with this. Black micarta or rosewood anyday. :thumbsup:

It may have a better feel in the hand when using? I have never handled one with that type of handle. So usability and practicality are things I dont know. Alternatives are nice to have, but in general and speaking of looks I dont see the appeal with this. Black micarta or rosewood anyday. :thumbsup:
The practicality of black micarta is hard to argue with. I feel this micarta would be a best fit on a traditional blade style- it has a sort of rustic, homely and natural look to it which could be a nice aesthetic match to a more low key and earthy knife

Back