HEST's Wire Breaker..

Status
Not open for further replies.
well that solidifies what I've thought all this time, Its worthless !!!

I've tried to use it before to no avail, to me its just taking up real estate and wished it wasn't there..

funny guy.. since when does the absence of metal take up real estate? Wire breaker works fine. Based on the AK 47 system used to break barbwire by twisting it back and forth. Try doing that with your bare hands.

Practice makes perfect.

well that solidifies what I've thought all this time, Its worthless !!!

I've tried to use it before to no avail, to me its just taking up real estate and wished it wasn't there..

The user in the link above broke wire (two wires actually) with the wire breaker on the HEST...how doesn that solidify that it's worthless?

...Its worthless !!!

It's by no means worthless. Even if not used on wire, it's still a sharpening choil.

Personally speaking, I sharpen with bench stones and like the wire breaker(choil).

Still have to be careful with the wire breaker. While doing as descibed above to break a wire, i got a small piece of the blade chipping of.
I first thought, it was my fault, being too impatient and putting to much latteral force on the blade.
However, they had the exactly same failure during a test for the german knife magazine.
So be careful and patient when using the wire breaker.

Yes the DPx HEST is a survival knife which means its frangible when needed. That means the knifes survival is secondary to yours. I didn't what it to be too expensive or prissy so if you had to lose it or even barter it to get through a checkpoint you wouldn't be crestfallen. BUT engineering suggestion for DPx HEST II noted

In the German knife magazine they suggested the wire breaker to be on the blade spine.
Maybe one could design a combined wire breaker / bottle opener.

In the German knife magazine they suggested the wire breaker to be on the blade spine.

A spine-mounted wire breaker would result in the edge facing you if you were to push, or the wire being pulled toward you if the knife were turned around.

When I collected pics for that pry bar thread, I found several folks who'd tested the wire breaker successfully. The pics and accounts are here at BFC and can be found with a simple search.

funny guy.. since when does the absence of metal take up real estate? Wire breaker works fine. Based on the AK 47 system used to break barbwire by twisting it back and forth. Try doing that with your bare hands.

Practice makes perfect.

sorry no smiley's in edit, I could manually but..... lazy Christmas..

I will probably never be in a situation where I actually have to use the wire breaker, now that I see how its done makes more sense..I tried on wire that was slightly taut to no avail.. I wont fill it with lead, or epoxy as I like the way it looks.. :eek:)

I have used it before, running across an old barbed wire fence in the rear of my property. I was clearing a path to the river, and without the HEST, I would have had to go get some dykes.
It worked like a charm, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back