How To Hex Bit Driver for 1996 Leatherman Wave

I wasn't sure where this post belonged. I have the original Leatherman Wave (no ruler, no bit driver). Leatherman used to sell a hex but adapter that fit all of their multi tools. It was called the Leatherman Universal Tool Adapter. Leatherman discontinued it, in favor of their proprietary bits and bit driver system. I can still find the discontinued universal adapter on eBay, but it costs as much as a new Leatherman!

Does anyone know how I can modify my original Leatherman Wave, so that it has a hex bit driver?

Seems it would be easy to duplicate what they did, minus the pivoting head.

Play around with a piece of metal until you get it to lock into the folded pliers, then weld a bit driver to it.

I think you would be better served by a separate small driver.

Seems it would be easy to duplicate what they did, minus the pivoting head.

Play around with a piece of metal until you get it to lock into the folded pliers, then weld a bit driver to it.

I think you would be better served by a separate small driver.
Thanks, but have neither the skill, nor the tools to create one. At this point, it seems like it makes more sense to sell my original Leatherman Wave (perfect condition, both tool and sheath), and buy a multitool brand that actually includes a standard hex but driver. IMO, Leatherman is trying to cash in on their brand name, with their proprietary bit driver and bits. In 2024, as opposed to 1996, their are tons of quality multitools out there, that include standard hex bit drivers. I sent Leatherman an email about this subject. It will be interesting to see what they say, if anything.

Is this the thing you're talking about?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
That's the one. Most are going for $200 on secondary sales sites. I managed to find one for $80, but that still seems too expensive, for such a minor tool.

s-l1600.jpg
There's a company that makes a drop in hex bit driver, that takes the place of other tools in the Leatherman Wave. I certainly wouldn't need the Philips screwdriver, or the 2 flat head screwdrivers, if I had a hex bit driver. I still need the scissors and the awl. I emailed them to see if it would fit my original Leatherman Wave. Hopefully it will. I suppose I'll have to take it apart, and move the tools around. It only costs about $37.

That's the one. Most are going for $200 on secondary sales sites. I managed to find one for $80, but that still seems too expensive, for such a minor tool.
Crazy. I got one at Costco back in the 90s and it's tucked in a bin in the workshop. I always found it super awkward to use. It was around $50 for the whole set.

I'll have to pull it out tomorrow and post some pics.

If you're willing to sell it, let me know. If not, I'm done with Leatherman, and their greedy shenanigans! They discontinued this useful tool, and created their own proprietary bit driver and bits, solely to make money off their brand name. I have news for Leatherman. They're no longer the top dog. Plenty of companies make comparable, if not better multitools.

No need to bash Leatherman. They chose to use proprietary bits, but it keeps the tool and spare bits more compact.

At the risk of repeating myself. You are far better off with a dedicated bit driver. A multi tool is awkward to use as a driver.

That's what I've been thinking. I've been looking for a decent pocket hex bit driver, I just haven't found the right one yet. I'm sure I'll find one eventually.

With respect to bashing Leatherman, I'm sorry. My opinion is my opinion. I realize they're an American company, that's trying to stay relevant with growing overseas competition. Regardless, there was no reason to discontinue their universal hex bit adapter, in lieu of proprietary bits. And from what I've seen, QC has decreased. I literally have a 1st gen Leatherman Wave. It's been through countless backpacking trips. The ballistic nylon sheath still looks brand new. I've seen their new sheaths, and they look flimsy by comparison. I've seen threads on how to repair newer Leatherman sheaths. Leatherman's only claims to fame, is their 420HC blades, and diamond files. I'm pretty sure I can find that for 1/4th the price these days. I wouldn't be so angry, if they hadn't discontinued the standard hex bit driver. I have master's in mechanical engineering, with tons of tools. Hex bits are the standard - THE STANDARD. Any company deviating from that standard, is doing it for profits. Leatherman is blatantly trying to bilk their loyal consumers. I was loyal to Leatherman in the past, but no longer. I'm sorry if you feel I'm bashing Leatherman. But let me be clear, I'm 100% bashing them. In this modern economy, you either stay relevant, or you cease to exist.

Disabled:4 spine surgeries, 3 lumbar spine, adult onset muscular dystrophy (FSHD), autoimmune thyroid disease, right shoulder reconstruction, right wrist reconstruction. I was captain and MVP of my collegiate wrestling team. I was an Olympic lifter and power lifter. I did all these things before I knew I had systemic diseases. Life can be bad that way. I was a spacecraft design engineer for 15 years. Unfortunately, I became too disabled to work in 2015. I've been trying to fight my way back. But, last summer I lost 2/3 of my left quadriceps to severe L3-L4 spinal stenosis. Things aren't looking good, but I still need to be prepared to get my daughter to safety, if the SHTF.

Last edited:
jeesh! Thats a lot to deal with. I’m sorry for trolling you.

Good luck on your search for a bit driver

jeesh! Thats a lot to deal with. Good luck on your search for a bit driver
There's no way for me to express to others, how frustrating it is to know how to do pretty much everything mechanical, yet not have the physical ability to do it. I do the best I can week to week. This week I'm putting new tailgate struts on my Xterra Pro-4X. That will be my physical limitation for the week. It sux, but it is what it is. Thank you for your understanding.

I have one of those bit driver accessories for one of my Leatherman tools. As was mentioned previously, I've found it to be sort of tedious or awkward to use on a regular basis and I stashed it away years ago. Looked pretty cool when I first bought it though. Think I also bought mine back in the 1990s sometime.

That Klein driver set pictured in eveled's post above looks pretty nice. I'm a fan of their tools already.

Back