Hey Christof, tell us about this !

I'm lovin the look of this one Christof, can ya give us some info, specs, price etc !

2009-12-10-0001.jpeg

Thanks Chris, I actually think that the front of the handle on yours is better than on the one I posted as your finger is closer to the blade which I'd imagine would give more control, however, I prefer the rest of the handle on the one I posted. It seems a little longer and I like the shape of the butt ( that sounds so wrong !!!).

Is that the knife he posted in the Sere knife thread a month or 2 ago?

I like!

Okay, sorry I'm slow, been a hectic week so far!

The LBK- Little Big Knife is a design that really just came out on the grinder and is possibly my ultimate idea of a spearpoint blade.

It's evolved a bit from dunefan's SD knife I did a while back, bit shorter and broader.

There's 3 variants- Christian's is the thin model, what I prefer for general carry and use- 3/32 blade (I'm going to try out some 1/8 1080 or possibly some 5160 if I can get it thin enough or borrow a day on a power hammer.)- I call it the woodsman or hiker variant.

The one you posted, the SERE variant, comes out around 3/16 at the hilt with a tapered tnag and a distal tapered blade. Turns out it's relatively light for a thick-arsed knife, but still seriously beefy- like pry bricks out of a wall beefy. I can use this one or the combat model to chop bottles and cans, which is pretty bitching on a 4.5 inch blade :)

The SERE in your first photo has a modification of the 'dirk' pattern handle I use on- the big dirks, of course- the trail knives and field dirks. Christian's handle is where I like it best on a thinner knife I'm going to do the maximum amount of fine work with.

I also recently did a SERE with the handle scales rounding out evenly and NOT covering the base of the ricasso, which works out fine on the thicker knives.

The combat model is just insane- it's pure beef, but cuts excellently with the full convex geometry. (there's one up for sale which has the full suite of photos)

In all case, I went with a really deep, long, and high tumb ramp that's got better geometry for full thmb extension and secure forward palm/pinch grips than anyhting else. I hate useless half thumb ramps :D

The spearpoint is strong, great for drilling, plenty of edge length with the belly, broad enough to really choke up on safely. I'm just in love with the knife.

the burlap laminate from shadetree is amazing stuff. I'm hopign to have the cashflow to get several sheets more, and some color variants, in mid january.

What else? :D

Is that the knife he posted in the Sere knife thread a month or 2 ago?

I like!

Yep!

The thinner bladed version is what I'd personally carry for a SERE environment. The SERE model, with the thicker full convex grind and 5160 steel, is simply my best attempt to balance the perception of needing a heavier blade, a robust digging and (short, but effective) small chopping mass, with some prybar effects, into the package without making a huge ass knife.

Well, I tapered the tang and put a distal on it. It's not like a solid prybar :D

I'm impressed that the balance point is right at the near-end of the ricasso. It's an amazing knife; I can see why you like it so much. I cut some wooden stakes, cardboard, and paper to test it out right quick--heck of a nice cutter for being as thick as it is. I also used it to shave nutmeg for the eggnog this evening. (Please excuse any typing mistakes; it's good eggnog. :)) Still wipes hair off my arm.

I keep thinking this knife reminds me of a Warthog: small, compact, stocky, incredibly tough and fierce. You'd be afraid to let this thing get loose in the garden. Like a short, sharp tusk--although at 9.5" OAL and 9 ounces of steel it ain't that small. Yep, I'm calling it the Warthog.

Oh, I'll need one in 1/8" steel too.....:D

Back