Hey does anyone still have...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DlJxcWgRrXENnfew1

Next Tuesday ends my 22 years on the fire department and ever since 2008 this calendar has hung on my wall. It went with me to every house that I was stationed and though it is 9 years old I just kept flipping through the months. It was so much fun to watch the rookies notice the pictures of big knives hanging over my bed, then notice the calendar is way out of date. Pretty sure most of them questioned my sanity for a bit and slept with an eye open! Fire Deptment humor, the old guys just laughed :). Now I am one of the old timers (but not that old!) and this will go with me on my next adventure.

Never had one but if I did I'm sure it would still be hanging on my wall as well.

Looks really cool.

I already have enuf trouble trying to remember the date...congrats on your service and retirement.

Somebody did a good review of that HI calendar:

This has been hanging behind my desk for a while now, and I've been meaning to write a review.

I'm not sure if Yangdu has any left, but they were originally offered here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547489&highlight=Calendar

This is a large calendar, typical size for the advertising and shop calendars that you frequently see. Two months appear at the bottom, and 5 kamis are featured (Bura shows up twice). Other Kamis are Pralad, Yubraj, Rajendra, and Dil. The layout is nice and clean, photos are good, and the paper stock is high quality. Six different khuks show up on each page, and most of the standard khukuri models are represented. There are also some unusual models like the Bhairab and non-khuks like the Uddha sword and Cherokee Rose. There are a few amusing typos on the knife names. The November/December page features Bura working on the handle of a Foxy Folly, along with the debut of the HI "Sex Knife" (Seax). Apparently, spell-check doesn't do too well on Anglicized Nepali names. I think Bill would approve. :)

On to performance results:

- The calendar has correctly identified 100% of the days of the year so far.
- The calendar bends 720 degrees and returns to true with no noticeable set.
- The calendar is sharp, but not blood-thirsty. I've managed to avoid paper cuts so far.
- The differential hardening is exceptional - the middle is quite flexible while the edges are quite sharp.
- Overall calendar performance is high, typical HI quality.

This was a good purchase. Aside from the reading fund benefit, the calendar is bright and colorful. I like having big pics of the kamis on my wall. I see this one staying up, even beyond 2008.

With this follow-up question (from member Suicycoprowler:
Do the calendar kamis get their material from old recycled Mercedes brochures?

Back