Hey, yall, pick me a gun

Thanks, munk.

The Kahr is just a great piece. They are fairly heavy for size, but well-balanced enough that it doesn't matter much, and their flatness and sweet-trigger- in addition to the smooth contours that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet- and with their newer polymer-frame models, they're lightweight, too! :) The tradeoff, of course, is capacity. Carry a reload (hint: a Cordura knife or multitool sheath makes a great "low observability" mag carrier).

My personal feeling is this: while it's always more the user than the tool that counts most, if I train for the worst potentially survivable scenario*, everything else is easy. My personal goal is to train to be able to make a fighting withdrawal from a squad-size encounter. Difficult, YES, but I think possible (depending on terrain). Compared to that, one -or even two or three- crackheads on the street ain't so much. ;)

*meaning the difference between six rounds and eight may make a hell of a difference. Of course, there are diminishing returns: there's a lot more difference between 6 rounds and 8 rounds, than there are betwen 8 and 10, 10 to 13, 13 to 17, etc.

John

CDNN Sports,Inc
For Firearm Related Questions Please Call 800-588-9500.
We Cannot Answer Any Firearm Related Questions Via Email!
This Website Is Dedicated To Firearm Accessory Sales Only.

1-The FN Belgium-Original Hi-Power design-Double action-15 rd mag-9mm-item#(FNHPDA9)-$349.99 :eek:

You need to get to a rental range and try them. I can not shoot a Colt 45 worth a darn, and can do much better with a compact Glock 45. I shot a 9MM Glock compact as well as my Browning or Ruger 9mm.

I have had a failure to fire with a Colt because of the grip safety. I have also dropped mags accidentally because of the high mag button on my Browning.

You really need to shoot the gun that you buy. I can't shoot a Beretta 92, the grip is large and the shape is wrong for my hand. The Ruger has a large grip and long trigger reach, but just works well for my hand and the way I shoot.

Other people can't really tell you what to get, but I recommend a 357 mag in a revolver, or a 9mm in a pistol.
I might change my mind about the pistol - I need an excuse to get another gun.
Incidentally, the 45ACP 5" barrel Smith revolver is really nice. It shoots like a dream.

Really depends on what its primary use will be

Glock 20 or 29 in 10mm with an AA .22 kit

Nothing at all wrong with the .40 either G22 or G27. I have both

Carried and loved a 1911 .45 for years but began having second thoughts about the rounds penetration capabilities when a hardball round failed to penetrate the sheet metal on the outside of a washing machine.
( It needed killing)

Glock because it is the simplest most rugged and rustproof gun I have ever owned. They can use a barrel change though for case support.
Their accuracy is serviceable.

I like the new xds but havent owned one yet

For hunting an N or K Frame Smith is hard to beat

For hunting on a budget nothing wrong with a Taurus

I agree with Arty. Go the range, spend an afternoon and some cash and see what feels good and shoots instinctively for you.

Then take into account all the opinions on here, and any research you do on the net (or wherever) .. then make your decision.

And if you don't plan on owning several, be ok with throwing down a little extra money to get what you want the first time.

~ B

What I like you may not Danny, so......... :confused:

A .357 mag revolver is the most versatile way to go. There is no cartridge for a handgun that has the numerous choices as a "357". Plenty of power and mild as a lamb for fun. Sales abound making the gun and factory ammo a bargain. Used I found them as cheap as $200.00

At night, half asleep a revolver is quick and fool proof. Hiking or hunting it is extremely safe to carry.

I carry a .45 acp in the city, a .44 revolver at home and in the country.

Good luck!

I’m a big fan of the 1911 for several reasons, it’s slim design is fairly easy to conceal, most are chambered for 45 ACP and the angle of the grip works well for me. I’m not a big fan of the Glock because the grip angles are wrong for me and they are thicker and for me more difficult to carry. (but they do hold more rounds).

My number one current choice for a pistol would be the Smith and Wesson 1911SC. This gun has a 4 and ¼ inch barrel, a steel slide and a scandium/aluminum alloy frame. Unloaded it weighs 26 oz and everything I’ve read and everyone I’ve talked to who owns or has shot this pistol has commented on it’s reliability with different types of ammo, something which can not be said about all 1911s.

The best suggestion however would be to find as many different handguns of different types as possible, at a range or where ever and shoot the heck out of them. That is really the only way you’ll find what works well for you.

munk said:
Because he may not be a handloader or interested in searching for factory 10 mm ammunition. The ten is great, but does have shortcomings.

His post did mention 10 mm among the options he's looking at so my assumption was that it's a go (i know, i know, assumption is a mother of all f*ckups :D ). As far as ammo avaliability goes i suppose none of the mentioned alternatives beats .45.

munk said:
Archangel- I do not believe the Kimbers are forged the way Springfield is.

That might be a non issue, but I do like Forged. If anyone knows about this and can elighten me please do. A gunsmith friend of mine does not believe the Kimbers are equal.

munk
Munk,
IIRC, not only are the Kimbers forged, but they bought the foundry that was supplying them and other custom shops, and now they are the source for the forgings. I remember reading this in a gun rag back when Kimber was just taking off. I thought it was a smart buisiness idea to buy the forging house that not only supplied them, but other custom gunsmiths so they could make money selling forgings also. Don't get me wrong. I love both Kimber and Springfield. I own, shoot and carry both. I have been very impressed with performance of both. Bot I truly am amazed at how well my CDP performs in such a short barrel length. They really did their homework on the timing issue on a shortie like mine. It has worked flawlessly for about 500 rds. now
1911 ALL THE WAY!!! :D :cool: A shot of my babies together!

Since Danny's paying for it, damascus forged Caspian frame and slide.

thanks guys.
After reading this thread, I am thinking Sig 220 in 45 acp.
Money will just have to be, but I am setting a 900$ absolute new retail price limit.

I'll let everyone one else talk I rather post a pic

40294049.jpg

ArchAngel;

I was relying upon a very old source- one who is no longer in the active gun loop, so I was curious. He says not all of Kimber's guns are forged; the slides are, but some frames are cast. He mentioned some of the SS frames are cast. I do not know the accuracy of this so I floated it out.

take care

munk

DannyinJapan said:
thanks guys.
After reading this thread, I am thinking Sig 220 in 45 acp.
Money will just have to be, but I am setting a 900$ absolute new retail price limit.

Good choice DIJ the Sig P220 in 45 ACP Is my favorite handgun, wish I could carry it at work, stuck with the Beretta 92 .

James

Maybe it is my fat hands and short fingers but I think the 220 is too fat and boxy of a grip. :confused:

But any Sig is first class. Heck all guns are neat!

I like your pic Sweet!

Don't ever pay retail. You can get an excellent 220 for $400 or so. I just bought a lnib 228 with 5 mags for $450. I also bought a 220 with night sights and their special coating (forget what it is called) for $325 when the DPS here went to .357 Sigs.

David

I hate to play "Mr. Obvious"...but what are the laws in Japan for CCW or even simple possession, or import, or possession by a non-resident?

Back