hi ho! I'm now a metal banger...

Just got my little smithy fired up in the garage and for my first attempt I made some (absolutely horrible) cable damascus. Looked like crap but actually got a small part of it to weld up. Have some tune up to do on my forge since only one of the two burners is working. Must have a plug somewhere. I've got some old leaf springs from an early 60's mustang that I'm fairly sure are 5160 to practice forging with. Then on to some 52100 I picked up from Rex. Lot's to do to make the smithy workable and lots more to learn. Should be a gas.

Way to go....Have fun forging as you will not think of anything else now for awhile..
Bruce

Welcome
It's a great club full of great people. Forging blades is a disease for which there is no cure.
YMHS--------------Bob

Hey Tracy, what feels the worst, a grinder burn or one from hot steel? Welcome to the new dimension and obsession! Sandy

Tracy
Just checking did you give the cable a couple of twists with a monkey wrench to start with to get the cable tighter. Before hammering.

Sandy, nothing compares to the smell of Barge cement.:)

Reg, I didn't twist the cable. I need to make one of those two handled monkey wrenches first. I just smashed the hell out of it and I was ear to ear grin the whole time. I couldn't wait for it to cool so I could go cut it up to see how it welded.
This weekend I'm going to smash up some 5160 and have even more fun.

welcome to the forged blade, nothing beats beating the crap out of a piece of steel, a blades soul is bourn in the fire. I think the Japenese sword smiths had the right idea, forge the blade, let someone else wory about hardware and finishing:D

Back