HI kukri question

After using the glue i would probably get a punch the diameter of the tang and carefully re-peen the end a little.

Karda, isnt most superglue really ridgid and prone to breaking under sudden shock? I would think that a shock-resistant epoxy (just as laha is) would be a much better choice for a khukuri unless Im wrong about superglue

Karda, isnt most superglue really ridgid and prone to breaking under sudden shock? I would think that a shock-resistant epoxy (just as laha is) would be a much better choice for a khukuri unless Im wrong about superglue

Sometimes a dab of liquid super glue with cause the laha to re-melt and then solidify. The glue isn't doing that much of the work as it is refreshing the brittle laha.

Jake is right and those formed buttcaps are hollow. The UB memorial salyans and the old Shop 1 AK's were the same way.

I have a couple of those old ones with loose buttcaps (and again Jake is right and it's just the horn shrinking a bit), including one otherwise perfect Everest Katana. I have thought about drilling a small hole in the buttcap and just pumping in a bunch of acraglas bedding compound, or a bunch of superglue gel, or regular epoxy if you could get it into the hole; I'm sure that would tighten everything up. Then perhaps some thin brass stock and cut it in a decorative fashion and cover the hole?

Norm

Sometimes a dab of liquid super glue with cause the laha to re-melt and then solidify. The glue isn't doing that much of the work as it is refreshing the brittle laha.

well that’s really nifty! Laha keeps surprising me with its properties, reusability is one that I didn’t even think that glue could have, I wonder what the chemical is that suspends superglue and refreshes the laha, I can imagine that it would be really useful to use the two together for a variety of tasks... like gun sights, apply the laha, sights stay fixed, want to replace sights? remove for cleaning? use suspension agent and remove laha, then use the same laha to reaffix the new sights!

though I suspect that it doesn’t work quite like that...

Don't forget about using PURE Neetsfoot oil on horn handles. It will refresh the horn also, as will any high lanolin content dressing.

Laha+superglue=GOOD.

Peace

There are quite a number of highly-flowable epoxies available, just beware of some sneaking out through unintended gaps. Tape things up before you use it and have some alcohol handy. After the epoxy starts to set and not flow any more, un-tape it and clean up with the alcohol. I haven't done gap-fills with a khuk buttcap before, but I have done it with a number of other things, mostly firearm related. Modelling clay makes another fine plug for any potential openings, as does plumber's putty or beeswax.

Back