HI Spear Head/Knife Interest Thread

I'm sure any pics or drawings would be more than appreciated. Back when Dan Koster frequented the boards, he'd CAD up some drawings and tweak them as we discussed what we wanted:D

And this is what is really needed in this undertaking ...so many great ideas have been described but how many can be incorporated into the final design while holding true to a consensus concept. :confused:

Seeing is a step towards agreeing.

Sound's like you want a Glave I think it's called,I like to draw so maybe I can help?

Here.

If you want me to change something yell ;)

Last edited:
glaive_large.jpg

2915411955_8330eb107d.jpg

SpearsattheHombu.jpg

9.jpg

mag02.gif

1219911312_2.jpg

W-6.jpg

W-12.jpg

image018.jpg

We bothcan, I think: allow me to re-iterate that I'm a CAD professional, and if it helps, I have a copy of AutoCAD handy.

The more the merrier! Steely will no doubt be over the moon when he reads of you blokes and your offers and skills!:D:thumbup:

I don't have CAD but I can do sketches,just say what you want and give me a bit I can give a few variations.

And Nicholas is welcome along for the ride.

*edit*

I want to mention you may want two holes on ether end of the socket so one could wrap cord around it when it's used as a knife and maybe to pin it to a shaft.

Great ideas, y'all:D

I think that any info we can get the kamis regarding what we sort of want would be beneficial. We're going to get what they want to make anyway. However, any designs that we can piece together is really going to help.

...or we're going to end up with a 3lb 21" long version the of the Bushman:D

Speaking of which, I actually remembered to bring it with me today. My UPS stuff is going out either today or tomorrow depending on when I get caught up with the pile up from over the weekend. It's a great knife...but a bit soulless. We'll see what the kamis can do with it. Heck, they might just throw it in the trash bin and say, "Oh, they want a spearhead? Yeah, we can do that. Don't know why you would want one...but OK;)"

I think that anyone who feels up to doing the drawing and designing should take a crack at it! We might not end up with exactly what we are wanting, but this is more of a fun exercise to see what our beloved kamis can do:D

So far loving all the ideas coming from the minds of so many people. I'll put in my two cents just in case anyone hears little ol' me talking and finds my point interesting.

When I said I wanted a spear, I wasn't thinking of what most people do, that long piece of wood with a sharp pointy bit at the end. A good time ago, when the Romans were trying to destroy the Germanic barbarians, these barbarians used an amazing weapon - the spear. But their spear wasn't quite used as a thrusting device. It was used as, basically, a six, eight, ten foot sword. Well, sorta. It was still a spear, so of course they used it to thrust, but it had a nice big head on it for a good striking range when swinging rather than thrusting. Soooo...

Big spear head that nearly rival poleaxe? I love. Oh, and by the way, those germanic barbarians actually defeated the Romans with their spears, clubs and shield. Oh, and slings. Pretty awesome stuff. Lemme know!

I agree Sioraiocht,that smatchet design I put up at 12in long and 2+ wide when stuck on the end of a six foot pole and swung about would be :eek:

Of course if the Kamis make it like they tend to it'll also be a friggin' pole ax :D

here's my favourite, it's on a short iklwa style shaft at the moment. i's just finished watching 'zulu' for the eleventy seven hundreth time.
Spear.jpg

another one in bronze, not mounted yet, needs a bit of weight reduction as it was cast a bit thick.
BronzeSpear.jpg
a similar steel one might be interesting.

or there's the indonesian spearhead mounted as a dagger, spear is called a tumbak.
tombak2.jpg

mounted as a dagger it's a lading terus.

iklwa style was what I was thinking of, actually. Maybe a little more knifish?

Never, EVER forget what the kamis did to the first bowie. I think lcs has it.

About a 12 inch handle and a 4 inch blade. well, that may be an exaggeration.

Those who can, search for Bill's on-going comments on the interpretations of the kamis of various designs sent them. His was often a love-hate relationship.

NO such thing as too explicit a set of instructions, models, pictures, weights, measurements.

and even then......

The Cherokee Rose turned out alright. I remember Yvsa made a model of it out of wood and painted it.

They have alot of experience with steel, not so much with pen and paper.

Maybe we should get a model together?

A model may be the best idea. Decide on a design then one of you artistic types fashion something from wood or plastic or some such and send that to them. I'd do it myself but we'd end up with something sorta like a steel road cone.

I think it is agreed that a model would be best. However, it's going to take someone with the time and skill (who whats to even do it) to get a workable model out to the kamis. I think wood models have worked out well in the past. I have no skill in this at all.

I am shipping Yangdu the old Cold Steel Bushman that I have (complete with ugly homemade sheath) today. UPS is scheduled to pick it up sometime this afternoon and it should be in Reno by week's end. My only thinking behind this is that they will be able to see what we are talking about when we say "socketed hollow handle spearhead/knife". They have explicit freedom to destroy this sucker if they need to:D

Maybe a workable model or even a detailed design with a list of specs would be in order. I do like the idea of a couple holes for cord wrapping the handle. I'm also cool with integral guards or lugs. A wide flat blade would be nice, I think. Something familiar enough to the kamis that could also be heat treated effectively given their methods.

Heck, I dunno guys:)

Just a thought.

As far as a model goes, would maybe a Kydex version make the most sense? I have no idea how that stuff comes packaged or if it is large enough, but it would probably be easier to cut and mold like rolled steel than wood would be.

Ya think?:confused:

Back