Recommendation? High end steels for edc flipper

Hello, I have considered customizing my Benchmade 51 Morpho. I have also been considering purchasing a model 62 and customizing it to be a good flipper. I want to upgrade the blade steel with a higher quality steel. I am looking for a steel that would primarily be a good choice for a flipper. So something that can handle being dropped frequently. I also would like some good edc characteristics such as ease of sharpening and edge retention. I live about 20 miles from the Pacific ocean so corrosion resistance is a consideration.

I have heard many consider D2 a downgrade from 154 CM. I am looking for high end steels such as S30V as I don't plan on selling these knives.

Hello, I have considered customizing my Benchmade 51 Morpho. I have also been considering purchasing a model 62 and customizing it to be a good flipper. I want to upgrade the blade steel with a higher quality steel. I am looking for a steel that would primarily be a good choice for a flipper. So something that can handle being dropped frequently. I also would like some good edc characteristics such as ease of sharpening and edge retention. I live about 20 miles from the Pacific ocean so corrosion resistance is a consideration.

I have heard many consider D2 a downgrade from 154 CM. I am looking for high end steels such as S30V as I don't plan on selling these knives.

Steel type isn't going to really matter as far as a flipping balisong, only matters for cutting tasks. The higher end Maxace balis run m390, such as their petrel, premium serpent, covenant and pelican.

Most high end production balisongs are 154cm. Its a good steel. D2 is a good steel too. For the price of a Benchmade 6x series though you could buy a HOM, BRS, Ryworx, or Maxace. I really like my benchmade balisongs but they're not great unless you sink some money in after market modifications.

Last edited:
Back