"High Quality User" swords, foils, etc....websites??

Looking to get some good websites for serious swords and foils and such....I've lost my Kris Cutlery catalog and mostly used it for buying exotic sticks...so I'm wondering, now that I'm back fencing and the "bug" has bitten me, what would the forumites here consider good user blades? Not top of the line expensive, but ones that can take real combat??
Thanks
smile.gif

Of course. Kris Cutlery. Easy to do a search. Also a website with looks like solid, no frills "Mean Mofo" swords and bowies is Mineral Mountai Hatchetworks, I think .com. Also low end, no-frills but rock-solid, full-tang-1095 steel blades, are Swords of Blackwind at knifecenter.com and elsewhere. Also the Paul Chen Hanwei stuff from China. Check out Tuscany trading.com. Plenty of solid and not-so-solid swords there. Hope you weren't specifically looking for foils, can't help there. Have fun!

Having spent so much time lately in the "Swords for Home Defense" thread, I'm a little leery of the term "real combat"
smile.gif

When you say that, do you mean Competitive Live Steel, or are you talking about a real "self-defense weapon?"

If you're talking about competition stuff, let me recommend
http://www.by-the-sword.com
They have a decent selection of "beater" rapiers, some decent small swords, foils, and epee blades.
They also offer replacement blades sold seperately, and if you're a "heavy user" like myself, you can expect their rapier blades to last a year or more before needing replacement. If you manage to get one that breaks prematurely, (it happens) By the Sword has an excellent and highly forgiving return policy. I've never had a problem with a return and exchange from them. Very polite and very prompt.

For higher quality rapiers, try
http://www.darkwoodarmory.com
They use the excellent Del Tin Blades and custom build the hilt for you. Either assembling it to your requirements or building from scratch to your specs. (costs a LOT more!)
They also have EXCELLENT quality and service, but there is often a waiting list to get your sword.
They will also fit schlager blades to their rapier hilts if you desire a more historically correct appearance. (To my thinking, this just makes for a light blade rapier with poor balance, but that's IMHO.)

Some might say to try Museum Replicas,
http://store.museumreplicas.com
but they are only slightly above the By the Sword offerings in quality, but nearly as expensive as Darkwood.
I provide the link so that you can decide for yourself.
HTH!

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor
Usual Suspect
MOLON LABE!

I bought a POS sword about 3 years ago from SMKW (I know, I know
frown.gif
), after an un-eventful life, it was killed by a snowman. Really. I noticed on Kriscutlery they sell blades only, made of 5160 carbon steel. Is this a good steel for a sword? Thx in advance for info.

5160 is an excellent steel for sword blade making. It is very tough, takes a great edge, and can be beautifully differentially tempered. 5160 is a common material for car leaf springs. Properly tempered, it makes great knives, small and Large. It is used almost exclusively by the Nepalese Khukri makers dealing with Himalayan Imports. I have no experience with Kris Cutlery, but 5160 is a good starting material. How it is shaped and heat-treated is the most important thing. Unfortunately, heat-treatment is usually invisible.

Try Albion Armorers http://www.albionarmorers.com/ especially their Albion Mark Collecton and their Angus Trim Collection. Both of these collections have blades by Gus Trim, who is very highly recommended for his products, and Gus does the finishing on his line, while Albion has others do the work on the Albion Mark line. Everyone who has bought from either one has raved about them. But these are sharpened swords. If you want dulled swords for re-enactment or for live steel work, you might want to look at their Del Tin collection. All of Albion's produsts come w/o scabbards and you need to buy them separately, but Albion has now begun to offer them. They are pricey when compared to thers, but what I have seen of their work and what I have heard about it is very, very good, and I am saving my money for their Mainz style gladius from their Albion Mark line. You may also wish to look at the Lutel line http://www.lutel.cz/index2e.htm They are from the Czech Republic, but, again I have heard good things about their products and they are less expensive than Albion, the exchange rate with the Czech Rep. being in our favor, and they do offer a rather wider selection.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Hi Kelt,
Your mention of foils had me thinking that you were thinking in terms of Rapier. Looking back, I can see how I may have been reading too much into it. (I'm a rapier kinda guy.)

Because I was thinking rapiers, I didn't mention Angus Trim or Albion, but if you're looking for something heavier than a rapier, I'll second anyone's good opinion of them.

I haven't had any experience with the Lutel stuff yet, but I intend to pick something up from them soon. The Lutel hilts look GREAT, but I have no idea how their blades will stand up to regular use.

Has anyone gotten a sword from Lutel yet?
Any feedback on them?
Anyone?
Anyone?
Anyone?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Desenfundeme no sin la razón, envaineme no sin honor
Usual Suspect
MOLON LABE!

May I make one other suggestion? Before you do anything, spend some time haunting the following two forums. Time spent them would be time well-invested in learning from the experience of others. And, Ken, I believe that I have seen some folks in SwordForum who have bought swords, if not daggers, from Lutel. You might go over and ask in their main forum. You do need to register now.

www.swordforum.com
www.netsword.com

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Ken and Hugh- thanks!! Excellent stuff for me to chew on for a while!
Thanks for all the replies so far- it's exactly what I was looking for- a bit of rapier and beater type stuff and also the harder hitters for serious defense...My fencing instructor (John Proctor at the Fencing Exchange in Scranton, PA) has gotten me thinking about all the joys of slapping metal and I've even started playing more with my rattan and WA-1 sticks...in fact, my 8 y.o. and I work some parries and ripostes with two WA-1 sticks- they're perfect for at-home work with a young one!
I haven't been in this forum much; it's good to see the same high-quality people as in the other forums here at BF!

[This message has been edited by KELT34 (edited 06-14-2001).]

De nada mi
hermano de espada!

My thanks to you too Hugh,
I used to go over to sword forum every once in awhile, but hated their antiquated chat program. Now that they've made it a little easier to navigate I'll be checking in over there more often.

(Not taking any traffic away from HERE of course!)
biggrin.gif

------------------
Desenfundeme no sin la razón, envaineme no sin honor
Usual Suspect
MOLON LABE!

Kelt, you might also want to check out John Lundemo. I have a sword and dagger that I bought from him, and the workmanship is excellent (he makes everything from 'beaters' to high-end fully engraved pieces of art). Obviously, the beaters aren't as pretty, but they are very serviceable - John teaches swordwork, as well as making them, so he knows what he's doing. Not only are the blades great, but working with John to figure out exactly what I wanted was a real treat - he certainly knows his stuff.

You can see some of his work at http://www.odinblades.com/

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Back